Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

Mich_Match 01-02-2004 @ 5:42 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I can't help but wonder if the ice cream bars you all have been talking about are like the ones that they sell at dairy queen. I have no real idea of what cho cho bars were like in the 50's i was born in the 80's :-D but by the way i read them describe i guess the dilly bars at dairy queen is what you'd be looking for.

starr1 09-16-2003 @ 6:57 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I found the following so you're not alone in wondering about these - but sorry it isn't a recipe!

ChoChos
When I was a child growing up in Brooklyn, New York, I loved to eat Cho Chos so much that I got the nickname of "Cho-Cho". My family moved west when I was 10 years old and I never saw or heard of them again. Many years later, while working in the city of Oceanside, Cal., I met and married a wonderful woman. Lo and behold, while talking of our pasts, Doris mentioned how much she used to love eating cho chos as a child while visiting her grandparents in St. Louis, Mo. This was the first person I had ever met who even had heard of this treat. We often have wondered whatever happened to those delicious Cho Chos. --- George Ahrens, Brooklyn, NY 1931 (currently residing: Oceanside, CA) married to 1947 Baby Boomer: Doris Ahrens, St. Louis, MO

http://www.octanecreative.com/boomerbaby/food.html

<a href="http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com">Fitness and Freebies</a><br>
<a href="http://www.bellybytes.com">BellyBytes.com</a>

diana 09-14-2003 @ 9:37 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting the information on Cho Cho's, and also about Tucker's Ice Cream Parlor in Alameda.

I would love to go to Tucker's, and plan to sometime during the next few months. It sounds like a great nostalgic place to visit.

I also remember rolling the cup between my hands to remove the cup and wrapper. That, as you say, along with the "first lick" was the best part of the whole Cho Cho experience.

Do you have the address for Tucker's and which highway is it off of? Is it Hwy 80?

I hope posting my experience at Tucker's Ice Cream Parlor (once I have finally made it there) for anyone who is in the Bay Area and craves those great bars, to go there and enjoy the Cho Cho's too! Thank you so much for all of your very helpful information.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Jim 09-14-2003 @ 9:12 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Diana,
In response to your question about tasting the "Cho-Cho's" at Tucker's, the choc-malt ice cream was in a cup and on a stick. Although Tucker's has been around since the 40's, I don't think they were the original Cho-Cho company. The choc-malt was smooth and good, but like I said, did not have the magical clown wrapper. I think what made Cho-Cho's fun and different was the rolling between your hands to remove the cup, wrapper, and make the consistancy perfect for that first lick. More than the ice cream, though, the nostalgia of Tucker's and the many antique stores in Alameda would be worth a trip.

Best Regards, Jim

diana 09-06-2003 @ 11:57 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Jim,

This is Diana from this website. Welcome to the Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum, and to Diana's Desserts website.

I grew up in San Francisco in the late 40's and 50's. I also don't remember the Cho Cho's having the crunch thing. I just remember the plain malted ice cream, smooth as you say.

They were great. Were the ones you had at Tucker's on a stick in a cup too?

I was thinking about taking a drive to the east bay to try them. Is it worth it?

Again, welcome. I hope you enjoy my website.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Jim 09-06-2003 @ 9:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am truly amazed at the interest in Cho Cho's. I was reminiscing with my wife about the wonderful malt ice cream that I enjoyed as a boy in San Francisco in the 40's and 50's (it was my father's favorite!) I did a Google search and came upon this discussion. I remember the 5 oz. cup variety with smooth ice cream, not the crunch bar. Although, I think the artwork and clown picture on the bar wrapper submitted by Maureen was the same - evidently both products of the Cho Cho Company. My wife and I recently went to Alameda and tried Tucker's Cho Cho. The malt ice cream tasted the same, but lacked the fun clown printed wrapper.

Best Regards, Jim

lonetree1353 08-28-2003 @ 12:20 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

We didn't have these in Canada that I recall but found this while looking through the internet. Thought it might bring back memories for those of you who used to enjoy them. I love malted anything so I can imagine how good these must have been.

Maureen

Turbojoe 08-25-2003 @ 7:02 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My sister and I were just reminiscing about Cho-Cho Bars.  We used to get them at Mr. Ford's Variety Store in Kansas City in the late 40's and 50's.  I wish I had a recipe but wish I could find a place to buy them even more.  I was very pleased to find so many others remembered them fondly.

Patty 05-27-2003 @ 6:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The Tucker's Ice Cream site describes Cho Cho's just as I remember them, in a cup with a stick.  And we used to roll them between our palms to pop them out of the cup.  Too bad I live so far from Tucker's!  If anyone has a chance to try them, I'd like to know if it tastes like you remember.

Lucy 05-23-2003 @ 10:15 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I see you already received the Web site for Tuckers.
I didn't realize there was a 2nd page of msgs.
Hope you were able to make a connection and indulge in a great treat.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts