Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

jonitn 03-03-2008 @ 7:42 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey, I was so excited to see that others remember my favorite  "Cho-Cho"s....I live in the Pittsburgh area of Pa. and I really would love to find these treats again...Does anyone remember who made them..
Joni

Joni

dwells 02-27-2008 @ 2:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I mentioned this awhile back but didn't post...these items are off an Ice Cream Truck board that I'm on...

Although the original Cho Chos are apparently no longer available, North Star has a chocolate frosted malt product which appears to be similiar.

www.northstarfrozentreats.com

For those not familiar with the Cho-cho, this description appears on an Internet posting by a former campground owner:
"It was a chocolate malted ice cream in a dixie-cup-type container with a plastic lid. You got a popsicle stick with it which you pushed through the lid. You rolled the cup in your hands to soften it up a bit, then removed the cup and had a 'popsicle' to eat. It kind of tasted like a Wendy's chocolate frosty but much creamier and MUCH better! We sold those at our campground for years, and then Bechtel's got new machinery and couldn't fill the smaller cups any more so they stopped making them. That was a sad, sad day at our campground, and I'm sure many others in the area."

The Cho-Cho Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin made these originally. Apparently other companies packaged these as well, possibly including HP Hood Dairy.

aussieIngrid 02-20-2008 @ 9:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I live in Australia and have never heard of Cho Cho Ice Cream - all I now know if this discussion about Cho Cho Ice Cream can go on for 6 years they must have been some fabulous ice cream. I hope you find at least the recipe for them because I sure would love to make them.
I have really enjoyed watching these posts for this discussion. It really is amazing how food can bring up such fond memories....All the best in hunting down this recipe....

Warmly,
Ingrid

bademento 02-18-2008 @ 1:20 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I tried the recipes that were sent in and neither are anything compared to the Old Cho Cho.  As I have said before, I bought a case from Tuckers and that wasn't close, I wrote to the US Patent and only got info on the cup, I wrote to the city where the cup was made and never heard from them, and lastly, I tried the recipes.  I did not try the Food Network.  I am not familiar with that source.  Maybe someone else can look into that and stay with it until they find something.  They certainly can do a more thorough job than any one of us.  I have a cup, if you need a sample.

Suerivers 02-18-2008 @ 1:13 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Diana, Hi, I too remember the cho cho's, from the 50's. I lived in Kentucky so apparently they were available all over.I was just discussing them a couple days ago with a friend who grew up with me, who also remembered, they were malted and about the size of a small dixie cup, maybe a little larger, on a stick and they were sooooo good!!Of course I have no idea who made them. I bet you also remember BROWN COWS, they were good too.About the same as today's ice cream bars, only bigger and better! Sue

This message was edited by Suerivers on 2-18-08 @ 1:19 PM

Zuma 01-01-2008 @ 9:37 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Oops I posted a recipe thats already here .. its now 2008 and I just saw this .. apologies!

Happy Cho Cho for 2008 Smile

This message was edited by Zuma on 1-1-08 @ 9:49 PM

Shizue7 12-26-2007 @ 12:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Dear Diana,

Growing up in San Francisco in the 1950's, I thought Cho Cho's were from a local creamery.  I had no idea they were national.  The ones I remember were smooth (no nuts, no candy chips) and extremely creamy malted milk ice cream  The cup was small and had a picture of a clown's face.  Same deal with the stick and rolling the cup in your hand to loosen the cup-shaped ice ceam on a stick.  

Diana, have you had any luck with finding a recipe?

Thanks for the chance to reminisce with my 25-year old son.  Just told him that Cho Cho's were 7 cents at the corner store.  (He's checking my pulse now).  

Regards,

Shiz

Shiz

whistlestop 10-26-2007 @ 1:46 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Farmboy!

I am from Enola also and a friend of mine was talking about cho cho ice cream.  I now own the whistle stop and thought if i could get these it would be a great addition.  The guy i was talking to and my grandmother were saying about buying the cho cho (it must of have been from you) with the ice cream cart and that their friends dad had an ice cream factory in Shypolk and about Spagnola's.  What a small world.  

justine 09-07-2007 @ 10:33 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
So has any one found a recipe yet for Cho Cho's? I love them and you can find them a few places in berks county, PA. But they are expensive.

dwells 08-16-2007 @ 10:49 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have had a response to the Cho Cho question from the Ice Cream Vendor message board.  Check this out and see if this helps anyone.  I think this will give a bit of information on the original company. Here is the link:

http://www.allscream.com/mboard/

Let me know...
If you can't get into the site, let me know and I'll do some typing.

Don

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts