Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

norman 07-05-2010 @ 5:06 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I'll never forget the Cho-Cho Bar.  When I was a child every evening the Ice Cream Man came to our neighborhood.  I always had a Cho-Cho Bar.  I have looked high and low for information on this delightful treat.  Finally I found some information, but not the information I was hoping for.  In 1939 Carnation developed the treat, then in 1982 it was reassigned to Popsicle. The worst news of all in 2003 the brand expired.  I can't believe I probably could have had a Cho-Cho Bar seven years ago.  Oh well, I will keep searching for a receipe.

Nancy

dwells 06-25-2010 @ 9:41 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Rich, you did not disappoint.

Richcreator 06-25-2010 @ 2:06 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
dwells,
Diana was looking for a recipe, NOT FOR SOME ICE CREAM COMPANY TO START MAKING CHO CHO's AGAIN.
This is a recipe website and recipe forums.
Please stop trying to hijack this thread with nonsense.
You insinuate some people are trying to kill this thread and are bullying folks. LOOK IN A MIRROR, DWELLS.
My recipe is exactly what Diana was/is looking for.
Your comments are out of place and uncalled for.
I sense some people here who don't want to see the recipe I created and who are trying to ignore it and continue this discussion as if it doesn't exist. I sense jealousy and contempt by you and others.
Rich's recipe for Cho Cho's

dwells 05-25-2010 @ 9:25 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
dagwood you disapoint.  It took you 11 days to respond with your pimping of Richcreator's recipe.  A bit slower than in the past.  Your turn Mr_Roarke.

No, it doesn't taste exactly the way my Cho Cho tasted.  You see, there are two types of Cho Cho's (argument resurrection);originally sold in a cup and one sold as a bar later on in the 50-70's.Rich's recipe does not include the chocolate covering and the nuts/malt chunks...or whatever it was on the outside of the chocolate coating.  Argue all you want as to what is a cho cho...but if you asked my ice cream man in the 60-70's he wouldm't give you ice cream in a cup.

Give it a rest on the recipe...everyone can scroll up and see it.  This is an extremely long running thread, don't try killing it by bullying folks.  Some day an executive from an icecream company may see the interest and begin producing again.

dagwood 05-20-2010 @ 5:31 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Lee,
This discussion is about cho cho's. I am confused as to why you posted a recipe that has nothing to do with cho cho's.
Cho cho's are a malted chocolate treat and the recipe you posted has no chocolate in it whatsoever. Moreover, I can be certain that the recipe you posted cannot even be modified with chocolate to come close to the actual original taste of a cho cho but Rich's recipe, already posted here, tastes exactly like the original cho cho.
Lee, if you are interested in eating a cho cho, make Rich's recipe. If you are interested in the recipe you posted, you will not be enjoying a cho cho.

Lee 05-09-2010 @ 6:38 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Diana.  I have a cookbook - The Joy of Ice Cream by Matthew Klein.  In it, he has a recipe for Vanilla Malted Ice cream.  Here it is:

1 tbsp malted milk powder
1 large egg
1 cup  half and half
3/4 cup granuated sugar
1 tbsp pure vanilla
3 cups heavy cream

Put malted powder, egg, half and half, sugar and vanilla in a blender and blend well.  Slowly add the cream and continue blending on low speed until mixture is smooth, about 30 secs.

Freeze in ice cream maker according to mfr's directions.

Life's too short.  Eat a cookie!

Lee aka Ooma

Mr_Roarke 04-18-2010 @ 6:14 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

quote:

also remember the cho cho's from the late 40's and early 50's.  I'm from Harrisburg, Pa. and the cho cho's were round with the base being larger then the top which allowed you to remove the paper covering more easily.  There was a round wooden  stick in the center of the bottom and when you pulled the paper covering off the top a round circular paper remained around the bottom of the cho cho so you didn't get your hand into the chocolate.  The cho cho was a malt flavored light chocolate. I wish you could still buy them because the were SUPER delicious.  claybuster

You don't have to buy them.
YOU CAN MAKE THEM! YOU CAN MAKE A MILLION OF THEM. YOU CAN EAT A MILLION OF THEM. SUPER DELICIOUS!
Follow Rich's recipe!
Smile

claybuster 04-11-2010 @ 2:46 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I also remember the cho cho's from the late 40's and early 50's.  I'm from Harrisburg, Pa. and the cho cho's were round with the base being larger then the top which allowed you to remove the paper covering more easily.  There was a round wooden  stick in the center of the bottom and when you pulled the paper covering off the top a round circular paper remained around the bottom of the cho cho so you didn't get your hand into the chocolate.  The cho cho was a malt flavored light chocolate. I wish you could still buy them because the were SUPER delicious.

claybuster

dagwood 02-12-2010 @ 10:42 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

quote:

chochome said:  I can only imagine the beautiful flavor of those little dixie cup malted awesome flavored ice cream. The texture and after taste was incredible. Kids today will never experience the things we enjoyed in the old days just simple things in life.

You don't have to imagine the flavor of the cho cho anymore, chochome.
Didn't you read this thread? The cho cho recipe can be made for you to enjoy and you can let all the kids you know experience the flavor also.
You can follow directions, can't you?
Live for the moment. Don't live in the past. Follow the cho cho recipe and enjoy life as it used to be today!

chochome 02-10-2010 @ 10:35 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I was sitting on the couch tonite and was wondering where they got the name lifesaver for the peppermint candy. The round hard candy that looked like a miniture donut. Which started in 1912. The candy that would not melt in summeer. Oh Yea go on line and get enlightened. What would we do without the computer. It was called a lifesaver because of the shape of the candy. Ok that made sense. Then I thought I wonder if anyone would remember cho cho bars. Sure enough this site came up and away I went. I can only imagine the beautiful flavor of those little dixie cup malted awesome flavored ice cream. The texture and after taste was incredible. Kids today will never experience the things we enjoyed in the old days just simple things in life. No fancy electronics. No Cell phones. We could stay out all day and play with our friends. Not sit in our room and listen to loud music. What a grand life we had. I still miss those cho chos. I miss the real coca cola at the corner drugs store. They called them phosphates. Cola syrup with charged water in many flavors. Lime phosphates were my favorite. Our taste buds were always being tested. Opps I got carried away I hope I did not bore anyone. Thanks for listening, Joel

Best To You Joel

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts