Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Megnut 04-18-2013 @ 11:56 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
opps, sorry, did'nt see the whole thread only the first
few so didn't know that this was already discussed.

I_Am_Alice 04-19-2013 @ 6:11 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Diana. I'm new here. I noticed your
question about the Cho-Cho ice cream bar. I've never
had them, I'm only nineteen, but I've found a few sites
describing them, and I've seen (and made) something
very similar.  All you need is an ice cream maker, a
basic chocolate ice cream recipe and some malt (the
kind you just stir into milk, like Carnation brand).
Any ice cream recipe can be altered to incorporate
malt. After you make the ice cream, let it stay soft
for a few minutes and push it into 5 oz Dixie cups (or
the like). Place a circle of food-safe cardboard or
parchment paper over the top and push a Popsicle stick
through into the soft ice cream; freeze until hard. Or
just make it easy and use a popsicle mold... Smile

Mad as a Hatter

bgstill 05-22-2013 @ 3:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am so proud to be part of the Spagnolo family from Spagnolo's Ice Cream.  This Ice Cream company was in Harrisburg, PA which has been closed for many years now and once sold the Cho Cho.  They were great and I so miss eating them.  My first memory of a Cho Cho was about age five.  Rolling that cup in my hand, hearing that pop when you pulled it out of the cup and then eating that great tasting frozen malted milk flavored treat was the best part of summer as a child.  I so would like to make a trip to that store in Temple, PA. and see if they have the same thing or not.

MaryBarker 05-23-2013 @ 7:56 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I too am part of the Spagnolo family of the former
Spagnolo Ice Cream Company in Harrisburg, PA.  To give
just one example of how popular the Cho Cho's were here
in the 1950's, I will just tell you that a mention of
them, during a private conversation, at small grocery
store in Hershey last week, elicited comments from at
least 4 nearby shoppers.  One women said, "Did you say
something about Cho Cho's?  Where can I get some? I
haven't had one in years.  They were my favorite."  
Text

Eat more Cho Cho's
Mary Kathryn

scotttime 03-21-2014 @ 2:10 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi folks,

I'm here to discuss Cho-Chos, somebody brought up old ice cream favorites on facebook and I thought about them, the search led me here and what a great thread it was.  but I skimmed a little and will go back and see what I missed later.

Anyway I want to add what I have to offer to this topic.

My era of Cho-Chos was from approximately 1965 thru sometime in the 70s.  My parents ran a country store which I later helped out at, and we had a selection of ice cream which included the Cho-Cho popsicles, the wrapper had some dark green in it, I can't seem to find a pic of it on the internet though.  These popsicles were standard and not the ones depicted from the earlier days molded in a cup.  It was the malted chocolate ice cream with a chocolate coating with crunchy bits.  For years I have seen the various attempts at these by current brands but they often have vanilla ice cream, never have I tasted a similar one.

As for the pure chocolate malt in a cup, as I recall, the same vendor provided these, they were in a cup and were purely chocolate malt ice cream, I think they were just called Chocolate Malt Cup or something like that but weren't as good as Cho-Chos.

I'd love to both see a picture of the wrapper and have one again, somehow I find it hard to believe somebody somewhere isn't making them.  

joeljackson2 03-22-2014 @ 3:31 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have a friend who made Cho Cho's. They received the refrigerated liquid mix from St. Louis. He the just poured the liquid into the cups  capped it with a stick and lid and placed the rack of one dozen into the freezer. This happened in Jackson, TN. in about 1956.

Yours,
JOEL

Shelbyben 04-30-2014 @ 8:01 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have been looking for these for years..They used to be delivered via
ice cream truck in the 1950s..They were called CHO CHO POPS on
Long Island New York....They were a malted milk Ice cream bar that
was covered with a chocolate shell that had rice Krispy type things in
it...I have been looking for these for years....I have never seen the
other kinds you are talking about.. These were not in stores in New
York, only delivered by the ice cream man....

Barbara--You have never lived till you
have done something for someone
that can never repay you...

trowlett 07-11-2014 @ 1:21 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Diana and all,

I'm brand spanking new to this site, so I haven't read all the other comments yet. What brought me to this site was that just a couple of days ago I was thinking back to my childhood and for some strange reason cho chos came to mind. From what I understand, all people as they get older have this thing about spending a lot of their time thinking good thoughts about things long ago. I know that as I get older, I do that. Well, when I was a child in Trumann, AR., my Dad owned a grocery store and I worked there quite a bit. Lots of times when things would be slow, Dad and I would take the time to eat some type of ice cream. Some of these were: Wonder Bars, Push Ups, Fudgecicles, Dreamcicles, Popcicles, and of course Cho Chos. I also remember that two brands of ice cream that we sold were Midwest and Sealtest. I can't remember if there were others. But, I do remember eating cho chos, so I suppose that one of these companies made them.

bademento 08-22-2014 @ 6:36 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
ALL CHO CHO LOVERS, PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW UP WITH
NESTLE CORPORATION:

I just received a reply from Nestle (who owns
Carnation, the original company that made Cho Cho's.  
My response from them calls for action by anyone who
would want to see Cho Cho's made again.   Please read
on and reply to Nestle using the Case #26023731
Subj:

Response from Nestle Case ID: 26023731
Date: 8/21/2014 1:55:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: bademento@aol.com
Nestle Drumstick Customer Service Email Page 1 of 1
Friday, August 22, 2014 AOL: BADeMento
Dear Ms. DeMento,
Thank you for your email letting us know of your
disappointment in being unable to find
Nestlé® Carnation® Ice Cream at your local market. I
realize how frustrating it can be when you
can't find your favorite dessert treats.
Unfortunately, this particular product line has been
discontinued. Each year, we evaluate our
current flavors and products, adding some new ones
while discontinuing those that aren't selling
as well. We listen closely to our consumers and if we
hear from enough shoppers who share your
disappointment, we will certainly consider bringing
this product back into our line-up.
The specific recipe for this ice cream is proprietary
information, therefore we would be unable to
share it with you.
We appreciate your taking the time to contact our
company to let us know of your flavor
preference.
Sincerely,
Kimberley Jones
Consumer Response Representative
Ref:26023731
TextTextText

Shelbyben 08-22-2014 @ 11:31 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I just sent an email to the address you just sent out begging them to
start making them again...I did my part, now everyone else needs to
get on the band wagon..lol....I would love to introduce my
grandchildren to CHO CHO POPS!!

Barbara--You have never lived till you
have done something for someone
that can never repay you...

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts