Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

rene3212 09-10-2008 @ 2:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I grew up in the 60's/70's in Reading, PA.  We would go to the Muhlenberg Dairy and buy 10-12 dozen Cho-Cho's at the beginning of summer...usually had to make a return trip again a month or two later.  I asked my Mom who still lives there and she said that she just got some the other day for my nephews but not from the same place (it has since closed).  

She told me of a place called "Schells Dairy Swirl" in Temple, PA.  Phone # (610) 939-9676.  I called and talked to the mgr.  They make the cho-cho's on site 2 times a week and are trying to come up with a way to package and ship them out of state.  He said he will call me as soon as he gets more information.  I will pass the information along.

Hope this helps.  I can't wait to have one again.

Mimi 09-10-2008 @ 4:24 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have just spoken to my sister and she said that the Cho Cho's at Tuckers are exactly the same as the ones in our childhood except no clown on the cup.  We grew up in San Francisco and my sister is a real foodie.  I will just bet that the ones shipped out of state just couldn't withstand the trip...sadly.  

Maybe it is like See's candy it just isn't as good when it is shipped or pre-packaged.  Maybe they change formulas to withstand the long distance? My sister worked for Ghiradelli and I think she said that at one time they refused to ship the candy, during the summer, to destinations outside of CA.  The chocolate just wouldn't make it.

Hey, For you San Franciscans...remember the original Flicks?  They stopped making them for similar reasons. I digress.

bademento 09-10-2008 @ 4:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I don't think Tuckers they could have changed that much thru shipping.  They weren't even close.  The ones I made at home were closer.  But, go try it and let me know.
I am anxious to try the ones in Temple PA.  I also called.  If they get enough phone calls, they might start shipping.  So, everyone call and ask for them to ship.  The telephone number is  610-939-9676, Schells Dairy Swirl.

donJ 09-11-2008 @ 9:48 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
rene- Muhlenberg Dairy is off of Rt 61 near "Clover Farms" I used to get them there. They are the one who changed to the "Rocket" or push up type cylinder and they are not as good as Schells. For those who wanna try Schells E me direct at pdhillbish@yahoo.com and I will investigate onernight shipping with dry Ice.
I stop at Schells weekly and the Mgr says he didn't get chance to check into shipping cost yet. They sell their cho-cups "CHO CHO's" for about $9.99 a dozen.
Badmento- i think you are in NY just 150 + - miles up I-78 from me

Always on a quest,

jerseygirl 09-11-2008 @ 1:38 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey Mimi,

I remember Flicks - didn't Ghiradelli make them?  They came in green and red tubes.  I remember when SF bay area introduced the 'cherry ripe' bar from Australia in the early 80's; they stopped shipping them not long after; don't know why they were 'food of the gods' - cherry flavored coconut, bits of maraschino cherry enrobed in dark chocolate.  I'll be migrating there eventually within the year and will have my fill of them then I'm sure.

Ciao, JG

Mimi 09-11-2008 @ 4:02 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi JG,
Yes, Flicks were our movie favs.  My sister worked for Ghiradelli and they told her that the original Flicks were so difficult to make and ship that they discontinued them.  I think they outsourced them and they didn't take off.  Duh.

I don't remember the Australian.  But I do remember there was a Cherry sort of version of the Mountain Bar.  My sister remembers all of this kind of stuff I am going to send her this blog...it is a kick.  

Come on back...

TomNyhan 09-11-2008 @ 5:11 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
On Main Street in Guerneville there is a 5 & Dime store that sells some of the old candies. In Windsor, CA in their new town square there is a Powells that has tons of old fashion candies, They also have other stores in Sonoma County. Going to the movies on Saturday morning after Catechism with a bag of juju beads was the best. Flicks were good, after you finished the tube, you could shoot wads of paper with it around the show.

Kid from the Mission

TomNyhan 09-11-2008 @ 10:49 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I just visited Powell's Sweet Shoppe web site and they do have Flick's. There is a story about Flicks in their Story Section. There locations are also listed. There goes my diet.

Kid from the Mission

Mimi 09-11-2008 @ 10:57 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Oh Tom from the Mission I fear, you will be disappointed. I grew up in the Sunset, went to Saint Anne's and I worked at the Irving Theater.  Ah, you will love this...we melted Challenge Butter for the popcorn too.  Double Features...yay San Francisco and Flicks memories.  

joeljackson2 09-12-2008 @ 12:18 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
How did we get from Cho Cho's to Flicks.One thing at a time Please.

Yours,
JOEL

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts