Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

bademento 09-12-2008 @ 2:39 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have just received a telephone call from Schells Dairy Swirl in PA.  He is meeting with a firm tomorrow to discuss packaging and mailing Cho Cho's.  He wanted me to know he didn't forget my calls.  Also, I received a call from Don, from PA, a very nice guy, who has replied to Diana's, and he has offered to send them to me.  So, hopefully, soon, we will know whether they taste like the 1950's version.  Schells said they also received a call from Reading, TX, I think.   So, maybe the end of the tunnel is close.  I'll keep in touch.  Hopefully, if they are, Schell will be in the Mail Order Business of selling Cho Chos.  And it is all because of Diana's Desserts web site and our memories.

rene3212 09-15-2008 @ 11:16 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I also received a call from the Manager at Schells and he told me the same thing.  
By the way, I am not from Reading, TX? I am originally from Reading, PA but now reside in Schertz, TX (right outside San Antonio) for the last 25 years. But I still miss PA, especially in the summer and fall, it can get brutal in this heat and there is not much color when fall arrives!  And, the worst is that there are no Cho Cho's to eat!
I believe my only problem with having Cho Cho's shipped will be the Texas Heat melting them before I can eat one! Yesterday it was up to 100 degrees!
Anyway, I'll have to at least try once to have them shipped, probably during the winter when it is a little cooler.

gloriajohnson 09-15-2008 @ 12:07 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi! I am 68 years old. When I was in elementary school, I lived in Minden, La. I well remember eating the cho-cho ice cream bar. My husband and I were sitting in the den listening to Rush and he said wouldn't you just love a cho-cho? Why don't you look on the internet and see if anyone else knows anything about them.  AND I got this website.  Do any of you know of a place in La. that sells them?
Brings back many, many memories!!!!

Kindest Regards, Gloria

gloriajohnson 09-15-2008 @ 12:42 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Since we're talking about past ice cream, has anyone ever heard of a cherry nectar fountain drink?
I had them in the 50's from a drug store. They had a fizzy liquid, cherry syrup, and heavy cream in them. They were wonderful.  I have attempted to replicate the drink and was not successful. Can anyone help?
Gloria

Kindest Regards, Gloria

TomNyhan 09-15-2008 @ 2:11 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Ebay has 2 Cho Cho items for sale. Sorry the cups are empty.

Kid from the Mission

denise 10-03-2008 @ 5:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My Mom and I were just talking about Cho Chos from the Muhlenberg Dairy a few weeks ago. I had bought them at Schell's Dairy Swirl in Temple several years ago. I told my Mom I would pick some up the next time I was in the area. The more I thought about it, I had to go right away. My husband said I was crazy. With gas at $3.50 a gallon, and 35 miles to Schell's, then back home again. That is some expensive ice cream. I said "Honey, it's not ice cream, it's cho chos. You don't understand." I did some shopping before I stopped at Schell's and bought 2 dozen cho chos and a cone of soft cho cho ice cream (for the ride home). Delicious! Perfect! Just like when I was a kid!

Dora 10-24-2008 @ 4:36 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I ate Cho Cho's all the time in the fifties. They were oblong and not round. Ice Cream with a chocolate coating much like the Dilly Dally at the Dairy Queen. I never saw them again after around 1962. Eskimo Pies took their place but were never as good as a cho cho. Most people do not even know what I am talking about when I mention the cho cho bar! Glad all of you remember! I have never found store bought ice cream that good since. I do not know if it tasted so good because I was a child or was really better back then!

Dora

bademento 12-02-2008 @ 10:22 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I had good friends of mine bring me back cho cho's from Schell's Dairy Swirl in Temple, PA.  I think we have found the closest thing to the 1950's Cho Cho that we will find.  It is just a little different, a little less creamy and a slight different taste, but oh, so close to he original.  It is in a cup, with a stick, that you warm in your hands to take the cup off.  I had called a few times to ask if they would mail and I did get an answer once that they were looking into mailing but that was the end of it.  So, my quest is over.  I did have my friends pick up 9 dozen for me and they are in my freezer.  It was a 4.5 hour ride from where I live but their son lives 6 miles away from the place.  I wish the rest of you Good Luck in finding them or getting them to ship them.  It would be worth it if they did.  Let us all know if they decide to ship.

jonitn 12-03-2008 @ 11:46 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My sister will be here from Texas in a few days and we are going to try and venture to find a "piece of our past" weather permitting. Janice, Jeanne and I are on a MISSION....
more later

Joni

This message was edited by jonitn on 12-3-08 @ 11:48 AM

nevadamoxie 12-21-2008 @ 9:03 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I found your interesting site by accident. Your title is Cho Cho...from the 50's. I pushed an ice cream cart in 1947 and 1948. The ice cream was kept cold with blocks of dry ice. I sold Cho Chos, Eskimo Pies, popsicles and creamsickles. They were all made by Spagnolos ice cream in Harrisburg, PA. They made bananna popsicles to die for.

Side note: They all sold for 10 cents. If I was paid with ten pennies, three or four of them were Indian head pennies. I don't know if Spagnolos is still around as I have lived in the west for 53 years now.

Just me,
John

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts