Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

joeljackson2 08-20-2008 @ 7:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey, Cho Cho Fans, I've got good news. Get the small (Bathroom ) size Dixie Cups, buy craft sticks at Walmart. Then drop by Wendy's and get a Frosty. Go home and pour the Frosty into the cup, (only 2/3 full. Stand the sticks upright in the cup and place in the freezer until hard. You have a Cho Cho. Roll it between your hands to make it slide out.Use a big napkin on the handle while you eat it because it doesn't have the lid to catch the drips.  

Yours,
JOEL

bademento 08-20-2008 @ 8:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Wendy's frosty is not the answer.  Thanks though.  That would be similar to the chocolate malt sold in the larger cups, but not the old cho cho.

jerseygirl 08-21-2008 @ 8:17 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Mike,

I moved to Seattle almost 10 years ago; is the parlor still there on Queen Anne?  Maybe your dad had the contract with Good Humor company?  I thought that's who originally manufactured them but I could be wrong.

Ciao, JG

giarcrmc 08-21-2008 @ 9:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Jerseygirl,

The ice cream parlor has been gone for years.  It was at 7th and McGraw on Queen Anne Hill.  Thanks for asking.

Mike Craig

my dad made cho cho's.

dwells 08-25-2008 @ 7:36 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey gang,
Right now the best new lead seems to be the PA location mentioned on the previous page.  I'm pretty sure Cho Cho's were not a Good Humour brand.  

As to the lead in the state of PA, at least it is claimed that they are being made there.  The location and phone number was posted earlier.  Wish I lived within a few hours...I would check it out for all.

Don

Jerry 08-29-2008 @ 11:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
How funny to see this. I remember cho cho's well, have often wondered if you could still find them. Out of blue I thought I'd google cho cho's and see what came up. This is great. I grew up in SF, being born in 1948, lived there till about 1954. I've always remembered those ice creams as being soooooooooooo good and creamy. Maybe the reason I've remembered is because I bought one on the way to school (General Pershing) and put in in my lunch pail. Boy did I get a surprise! Not sure, but I seem to remember them with a yellow and brown picture, but certainly not sure. Will definately look up this place in Alameda next time I am in the area. Thanks, Jerry

Thanks,

Jerry Overbey

Mimi 09-01-2008 @ 7:33 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Finding this site is too funny...I grew up in San Francisco and when I meet another native Cho Cho's invariably come up.  My sister's and I have heard about Tucker's but alas, I haven't made it there.  

I do remember the little cup with the clown but mostly I remember the creamy malted ice cream. It wasn't until I started searching the internet that I discovered other areas of the US had them

I am going to run out to Wendy's and get a malt...surely it can't be the same.  I once did find a frosted malted and I was all aflutter that I found it here on the peninsula.  Well, I took one bite and pitched it.  Not a Cho Cho it was icy. Obviously you all know what that means!  

bademento 09-02-2008 @ 12:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I just contacted Schell's Dairy Swirl in Temple, PA.  They do make Cho Cho's on the premise.  It is not a package mix.  They will be contacting me with a price on packaging and handling a shipment to me.  As I have said, Tuckers sent me an order and it wasn't even close to the original.  I went to Wendy's and that wasn't close either.  So, this is my next move.  As I have said previously, I had contacted the US Patent Office and the city the cup was made in with no success.  I have tried using the recipes given on line. This will be another attempt on my quest to locate the 1950's Cho Cho.  And the taste has never left me and I haven't had anything like it since my youth.  I will let you all know the result of this most recent purchase, if and when it happens.  He will return my call with a price on Thursday.  Tuckers charged me about $150 for 40 plus shipping and handling.  Obviously my quest is sincere.

dwells 09-02-2008 @ 1:09 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Bademento,
Thanks for going the extra mile in this mystery.  Let us know the details...such as price and if they consider it a secret mixture.  If this is the true Cho Cho, they'll have more business once the word gets out.

Don

bademento 09-02-2008 @ 3:35 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I did ask if they would consider a mail order business if these are the one and the same cho cho from the 1950's.  I didn't get an answer.  

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts