Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

bademento 07-26-2010 @ 3:39 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I won a bet.  You both are true to your form.  We have a little side emailings going on about the two of you.  Thanks for the laughs.

CathyC. 08-26-2010 @ 10:49 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I've been dreamin of Cho Chos for years! I was born and raised in San Francisco and got them from Joe's - the corner store in the Excelsior in the 60's. I think we might have gotten them from the ice cream truck as well. The closest thing I've found to the taste is Wendy's Chocolate Frosty - has a similar malt flavor.

Cathy Collins

CathyC. 08-26-2010 @ 10:55 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The Cho Cho I remember was a push up that we rolled between our hands to loosen it in order to push it up. Yummy.

Cathy

Tokeitwo 09-09-2010 @ 7:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Wow!  My sister and I were talking about Cho Cho pops just a couple of days ago!  We visited a little shop {Polka Dots} in Panama City Beach, FL that specializes in all kinds of retro things.  We asked the store owner about these blasts from the past and he was going to look into them as well.  I grew up in the late 50's/early 60's in Harrisburg, Pa. and we bought Cho Chos from the local drug store.  Ours were on a stick with the malt or toffee crunchies in the chocolate coating but the malt ice cream was the same.  I was SHOCKED to read posts from people that live near the area that I grew up in...Enola?  Shipoke?  Know them well.  Anyway, Popsicle, get in gear and get these things back on the market!!!  We miss them!

just my addition, Sharon

Mr_Roarke 09-20-2010 @ 3:23 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
It's so sad that people are either too lazy or simply incapable of making cho-cho's themselves by following Rich's easy recipe.
I've been making cho-cho's for a year now according to Rich's recipe.
You do without by waiting for someone else to make cho-cho's so you can buy them and they don't taste like a cho-cho anyway.
. . .again . . . so sad! Confused

arvind 10-20-2010 @ 8:35 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi

Cherri 12-14-2010 @ 1:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I was amazed to find this site and the other people who loved the cho cho's!  I lived in Billings, Montana and across the street from us was a meat locker plant.  They are the only ones in town that sold them!
I was probably 6 or so.  My sis and I have wondered if there was anywhere we could find them.  But, we never have.  
So, even in Montana we knew the wonders of cho cho's!!!
Thanks for the happy memories!
Cherri

pescatore 06-21-2011 @ 9:41 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I was born in 1934, remember cho cho bars well. Remember eating them in 1944 at the corner store. Last time I had one was in the mid 70's at a little place in McKean,Pa.Erie County.Made the 15 mile trip often as that was the last place left that sold them. They were a ice cream bar tan colored inside,heavy on malt flavor and covered with chocolate with crunchy bits on the outside.
They had a very distinctive taste kinda like a Wendy frosty but better. much better. I also recall the very first soft serve I ever ate I was about 5 at the time and they called them frosted malteds. This was in Erie ,Pa.
Was having a Wendy frosty with my Grandchild just last night and told her the story of how good Frosted malteds and cho cho bars were.That prompted a google search that brought me here. Do you remember the taste of Circus soft serve? The kind you bought at the circus under the big top. That had a distinctive taste also.

pescatore 06-26-2011 @ 5:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Had to come back and share my memory. Now I remember what made them special beside the malt flavor. The crumbles on the outer chocolate layer were toffee.
Thats what put the magic in them.
Pescatore

janetehardy 06-30-2011 @ 10:21 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I also loved the Cho Chos when I was growing up in Montana.  Years later in the 70's I was thrilled to find them in Santa Monica.  They were manufactured in Los Angeles, I noticed, but I never saw them again.  Today I experimented with a Chocolate Malted Milk recipe and it tastes as I remember!!!  So good.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts