Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Maryannm 04-14-2012 @ 4:23 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have had something similar to this called a Melo roll.  We are going all the way back to my childhood in the mid sixties.  Have not seen them since, but they were so good, still in my memory bank.

Kindest Regards,
MAM

bozzie 04-22-2012 @ 12:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Having grown up in the St.Louis area, I remember Cho CHO Ice
cream bars as a kid. I also remember vendors at the old Sportsmans park Cardinal baseball stadium selling
them on warm days at the stadium.

I've never found a real recipe for them, but a friend who worked at a regional ice cream maker once told me that the chocolate malt ice cream also had some flour
added as well as binder to prevent quick melting of
their product. Mixed all ingredients then filled the cups and frozen.  Never found out how much flour was added to the soft Ice cream. I just remember how great they tasted.

Jim

Keep it real
Jim

clmatt 05-09-2012 @ 1:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I really love this kind of ice cream! It's delicious and one of my favorite sweets! Once I found a possibility to order it from serenata.com! Have you tried this already? This is really comfy. The Cho Cho Bars are really good there! (although I cannot see them right now, maybe they're out of stock right now?

Bruno 05-18-2012 @ 10:49 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Diana herself started this thread by asking for a Cho Cho recipe. This thread has anything but cho cho recipes. People ask where they can be  bought. People tell how much they liked them but I only saw one complete recipe posted and everybody ignores this recipe including Diana. I read all the way through this thread and I didn't see Diana give any thanks to the person posting the only recipe.The recipe by Rich Creator 3 years ago now has the same exact taste as the Cho Cho's sold at the V&S sandwich shop for $1.09 each in Sinking Springs PA today. Thank you Diana for being contemptable.

bademento 05-19-2012 @ 12:16 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have been searching for the Old Time Cho Cho of the 1950's since 1960.  The one in the small cup, not the ice cream bar.  

"     I have written to most ice cream maker companies with not one reply,
"     paid and filed for info from the US Patent Office and got the patent number from the Dixie cup,
"     tried every recipe I found on Diane's web site and the Internet,
"     Paid over $160 to have them shipped from Tucker's in CA,
"     paid to have them sent from Schells Daily Bar in Temple, PA,  and
"     had friends bring them home from Julie's Olde Tyme Cho Cho, in Reading, PA, and from
"     Wendy's.  
"     The only thing I haven't tried is some drink from Dairy Queen which is supposed to be like it.

None of the above taste like the Original Cho Cho.  Yes, the ones made in PA taste similar to Rich Creator, but they are missing something from the 1950 version.  I even tried Rich Creator a few times, using various vanilla ice cream.  And yes, they taste like the ones made in PA by two different companies.

Let's try to think what the taste was like.  I was thinking maybe a touch of caramel.  Whatever it is, it is definitely missing from everything I have tried so far, and that is over 50 years of research.

diana 05-19-2012 @ 1:42 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Dear Bruno,
I am so sorry for not thanking Rich Creator for his recipe for Cho Cho's. I am thanking him now (Thank you Rich so very much!!), and also I want to thank you Bruno for bringing this to my attention. Please except my apology.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

bademento 05-19-2012 @ 2:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Very cute Diana  .......

leonadavis06 05-21-2012 @ 1:45 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I remembered my grandmother giving me that when I was a kid. It was really delicious.

I was intimidated by the world

dwells 05-21-2012 @ 7:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Been missing Richcreator, dagwood, and Mr_Roarke.  Bruno: same content and same tone.  Same person or family?  Welcome back to your Cho Cho frustration.

Bruno 05-23-2012 @ 8:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
AGAIN, this thread is supposed to be about a recipe for Cho Cho's.

DOES ANYBODY ELSE BESIDES RICH CREATOR HAVE A RECIPE FOR CHO CHO'S?

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts