Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Renay 12-21-2008 @ 9:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
A friend of mine said cho cho bars were in stock now
on her U.S.Navy ship!  I wonder if that means that military commisaries would have them?  I am not military-so can someone who is check this out?  If they
are available - Please find out who is making them?  

buzzrdly1 02-02-2009 @ 7:06 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Found this web site by accident while doing a Cho-Cho search.  Wow! People other than me remember Cho-Cho's!  I grew up in a small north-central Illinois town.  Dad and I used to get Cho-Cho's from the meat market acroos the street from his business. (The butcher shop also dealt in dairy products.)  The butcher used to call me "Cho-Cho" because I liked them so much.

Thanks for the memories.

Lou

Mimi 02-02-2009 @ 7:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Disappointed in SF bay area! Well, one of you warned me about Tuckers...you were right; not at all like a Cho Cho.  It was ok for chocolate ice cream but it sure wasn't anything like a Cho Cho.  They do put them in a kind of dixie cup thing.  My sister swore that they were just like the ones we had as kids in San Francisco...sigh.  I guess I can only hope that place in PA ships? Whoever said to get the chocolate malt and freeze is on the right track.  My Wendy's doesn't have the malt.

willie 02-14-2009 @ 8:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I remember the Cho Cho bar from SF very well. We moved to Sacramento and Dairy Queen had the same item
called a Mister Malty...
Flicks were discontinued when they could not find parts for the old machinary when the company moved from SF.

lorich685 05-09-2009 @ 9:34 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
ALSO LOOKING FOR CHO CHO BARS .I found a place in Alameda,Ca. called Tuckers Ice Cream.I will try them out and will report back.Just found on net after trying for 20 Minutes. Will try to get a receipe.
..........bucko here in Redwood City.Ca.

BUCKO

Biffhank 05-12-2009 @ 5:44 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I grew up in the South in NC and do not remember the bars but a quick
search online shows a clown that was used for advertising.  I'll continue to
look and see if I see the company name.  One site mentioned how you ate
them by using a popsicle stick that was inserted into a slit in the cup top
and then I'm guessing the warmth of your hand helped loosen the ice
cream from the cup to pull it out and eat it.  Sounds messy but delicious!

http://tinyurl.com/oqwxwu

Oregon Baker

jerrylee 05-18-2009 @ 12:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Wow, I remember the cho-cho days. We actually found some in sinking spring Pennsylvania at a V$S store. We introduced them to the kids and they went crazy. They are expensive but boy are they good. If anyone finds the reciepe, please let us know. Thanks

jerry

bademento 05-18-2009 @ 1:13 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
AGAIN, the Cho Cho made at Schells, in Temple, PA is very similar to the old Cho Cho, a little less creamier.  It is probably what the last person had because he was located 9 miles from Temple, PA.  Tuckers in California is not even close.  I already went that route. I paid $160 to have them ship to me and resolved that question.   It is just dark chocolate ice cream.  After looking for 50 years, this is the answer.  I have tried writing the city they originally came from, the patent office, and calling Schells to get them to ship.  I called twice, they never returned my call.  Now, a good friend of mine moved to Reading, which is close.  He gets me Cho Cho's, put them in dry ice, and ships them to me.  I have 3 dozen in the freezer as we speak.  They are $10 a dozen.  I don't know how much they are individually.  They are in a cup with a stick.  They are good.  So, if anyone finds them in any other place, I would like to know it, but, as far as I know with all of my research, Schells in PA is the answer to the Cho Cho question.

dwells 05-20-2009 @ 12:14 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I'm suprised that this has been missed, neglected, ignored, or at least not commented on:  Back on 12-21-08 Renay mentioned that he/she had heard the US Navy may serve Cho Cho bars.  For many of us, we knew Cho Chos as in bars not cups.  I've made a feable attempt at trying to find a Navy menu list on the internet that might include types of ice cream...no luck.  I don't know of anyone serving in the Navy right now either.  To me, this is the most promising lead we have had because that would be a production form of Cho Cho.  With the cup version, someone can have a receipe,or some form of one, and drop the product in a cup and call it a Cho Cho...much like Tuckers (not close) and the PA icecream location (close match).  As a collected body, if we search out this lead, we may find an actual production company...and thus the pot of gold.

bademento 05-20-2009 @ 12:53 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Which came first, the chicken or the egg.  I think the Cho Cho in a cup came first back in the early 1950's.  I've had a cho cho bar and it is not the same as the 1950's Cho Cho in a cup.  Text
I am 66 and still run to every new ice cream truck and ask if they have Cho Cho's, or what they have in a malted type ice cream.  Nothing is as close as Schell's in Temple, PA.  I've tried recipes at home too.  Nada, nothing, whatever, it is what it is.  

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts