Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Renay 06-14-2008 @ 9:39 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I too remember loving cho cho bars - in a cup - roll between the hands to release & pull out of the cup - then lick & slobber the good tast! Wow!  I had them in Brooklyn New York.  My question is - since everyone remembers them - and from all parts of the country it must have been a major company making and distributing them Does anyone know who that would have been?  And are they still in business?  Seems like we would all
be customers for a revival!  Renay

bobwylan 06-25-2008 @ 1:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
What a surprise ... I had just mentioned to my daughter that the malt cup ice cream at the ballpark was a poor knock off of the original "Cho Cho Ice Cream" we had during our school days in St. Louis during the 50"s.
I decided to goggle up "Cho Cho Ice Cream" and Diane's site appeared. The power of the internet is terrific ... but the memory of a "Cho Cho" is PRICELESS!
Bob Wylan

Bob Wylan

joeljackson2 06-26-2008 @ 11:22 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
This malt ice cream bar at the ball park was in what city? What company?  I've tried to duplicate Cho-Cho at home. But no luck yet. I'll post it if I get close

Yours,
JOEL

bademento 06-26-2008 @ 1:47 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have tried to duplicate it at home also.  No Luck!

giarcrmc 07-05-2008 @ 10:18 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My name is Mike Craig, and my father, Ron Craig, owned and operated the Polar Bear Ice Cream Parlor on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, Washington in the 1950's.

He made the delicious cho cho's on the site and had a contract with the manufacturer for the secret ingredients.  I was 10 or 11 years old at the time and have no specifics about who the manufacturer was.

I just remember rolling the cho cho's in my hands and enjoying the results.

My sister and I sometimes had some of the cho cho product in a bowl as it came out of the ice cream maching.  Too good!

I would certainly like to try one again and time travel back to the 50's.

Regards.

Mike Craig

my dad made cho cho's.

donJ 07-06-2008 @ 6:31 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
We have been enjoying Cho-Cho's for years. In Berks County PA they are made at Two places. One changed to the push up type container and they aren't as good as the old ones. The originals are still  made and sold at-
Schell's Ice Cream/Drive in
4625 N 5th Street Hwy, Temple, PA 19560
(610) 929-9660
They call them CHO Cups now- but they are just like the old ones.
I have 2 dozen in my freezer now.

They make theirs in a "Taylor" ice cream machine and tap them into a small dixie type cup with a cardboard top and a popcycle stick. ( I saw them doing them last week) I guess it's a mix? Anyway, they are frozen, you roll them in your hand and pop them out of the cup.  MMMMMMMMM!!!

I provided their contact info for those who wish to know.

Always on a quest,

This message was edited by donJ on 9-12-08 @ 7:00 AM

dwells 07-07-2008 @ 11:42 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Great Information.  PA is a little far away from Oklahoma.  Anyone else from PA capable of dropping by and taking a taste test????  We had the bars here in Tulsa, OK...not the cup.  But it seems so many remember the cup.  I would gladly take a cup.  I wonder if they have a packaged mix that they would sell?  The search goes on with success close!!!

bobalama 07-10-2008 @ 5:32 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Wow, a blast from the past.  The July 5th post from Mike in Seattle.  He
talks about the Polar Bear Ice Cream Parlor from 1950's.

I remember Mike's dad, I went to school a block away and would buy
Cho Cho's there.  Mike's dad and the woman who may have been his
mom or an employee were always very nice to me.

Once a month of so, my parents would give me enough money to have
hamburger and fries, and a Cho Cho.  I was 10-12 years old, a little kid
going to lunch by myself, it was fun.

Great memory, but now Mike said it, they had a recipe, so probably a
typical store like Polar Bear probably made their own, so no creamery
or big ice cream maker may have been involved.

The search continues.

Thanks Mike for the post.

Bob

PhilA 07-28-2008 @ 11:27 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
In re of those long ago Cho Cho bars, I remember them very well from my grammar school days in Burlingame, CA (McKinley School). Ice cream was served in the basement by the cafeteria each day and the Cho -Cho bar - and the larger Whale Bar - were both sold for something like 5¢ each - maybe even 10¢ - but what made the Cho-cho bar so popular with boys was the paper container itself. After carefully removing the cylinder-like container, each boy would them put the container down on the cement floor, narrow end up and then give it a mighty stomp and the explosion sounded like a cannon going off and echoing down the hallway as far as the kindergarten classes.

Great fun!

The closest malt-like ice cream out there right now would probably be Wendy's Malt drink which is a softer version of the old Cho-Cho bar in a milk shake form.

Phil

jerseygirl 08-20-2008 @ 11:24 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello!
Re: Cho-chos and other east coast memorbilia..

Being an original jersey girl from the 60's, I surely remember malty cho-cho bars with the crunchy coating.  I found them once a very long time ago when I was living in the SF bay area in the 70's; but grew up enjoying them originally on the east coast along with Drake cakes Ring Dings (and why has the size of ring dings gotten so small??), Devil Dogs, Bosco chocolate syrup and Wise potato chips.  And let's not forget the original crystalized, crunchy ovaltine, not this freeze-dried grandules.  By the way, does anyone remember the kid's TV shows Norton Nork (Sandy Becker) and Diver Dan?

Ciao, JG

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts