Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

jonitn 09-04-2008 @ 4:30 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
HEY ALL THANKS FOR SUCH AN IN DEPTH RESEARCH PROJECT..I AM SO HOPING THIS WILL GET MY FAVORITE DESSERT BACK IN MY LIFE.  
JONI

Joni

dkiefer 09-05-2008 @ 2:45 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I'm just delighted that others remember Cho Cho's and how gooooood they were. My wife and I remember them from our childhood back in Western Pennsylvania, Aliquippa, PA to be exact. We would both give our eye teeth for just one more.

We're looking for the name of the original manufacturer.  I've seen a reference to a company called the CHO CHO Company, Milwaukee, WI but I can't confirm it.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Renay 09-05-2008 @ 9:07 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I noticed that someone had sent a copy of the original Cho Cho cup.  And that on the cup it says Reg.U.S. Pat. Off., Cho Cho Company.  I wonder, if the formula
was patented and might be available that way?
Renay

bademento 09-05-2008 @ 9:10 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I already wrote to and paid for the Patent Office to research this.  What I got was info on the cup, no recipe.  I already wrote to the state capital and received no reply.  Does anyone live near Temple PA?  They haven't called me back.

TomNyhan 09-05-2008 @ 10:24 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I was born and raised in San Francisco during the 30s, 40s and 50s. WOW am I old or what. In the Mission District there were grocery stores on about every corner and they all sold Cho Chos. My Nana every Sunday after Mass would come to our house for dinner and she would give my twin brother and I a nickel to buy a cornucopia. We would dash to the grocery store and get a Cho Cho. Cal football games also served a malted ice cream that was close to Cho Chos. I think Carnation's made the Cal malted. I did buy a Cho Cho cup off of ebay, sure looks the same.

Kid from the Mission

Mimi 09-06-2008 @ 6:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Well, I have just polished off a Wendy's Frosty and whoever said it was just like a Cho Cho is sadly mistaken.  No malt flavor whatsoever, big disappointment for this old gal from the Sunset.  

Renay 09-06-2008 @ 8:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
You know - I am thinking about the taste - so I went
and bought some chocolate ovaltine and some Carnation Malt and thought perhaps I will get lucky!  Any creative cho cho chemists care to also experiment on this?

joeljackson2 09-08-2008 @ 7:06 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Mimi- My Wendy's has Malt flavored Frostys, and always has.To get the Cho Cho taste you have to follow my directions and freeze in a small cup also, NOT- Just Drink the Frosty.
If your Wendys doesn't have malt flavor, get Carnation Chocolate Malt in a jar and mix it in then Freeze. Granted,it's NOT the same.  
ON A QUEST

Yours,
JOEL

Mimi 09-08-2008 @ 9:04 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
JOEL - On the same quest and just an FYI, I am lucky if the person on the other end of the Wendy's speaker understands more than basic english.  I, sadly, speak no Spanish so don't know how to order malt.  I will give it another try...and thank you for the idea.  Me thinks I will just head over to my sister's in the east bay and talk her into a trip to Tuckers.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Not holding out much hope but I heard that they were from the City and wanted to duplicate the Cho Cho.  

bademento 09-08-2008 @ 11:38 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I did Tuckers.  It didn't come close.  I had it shipped to New York State, cost about $160.  Save you money, unless you need to see for yourself.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts