Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

skydancer 09-24-2011 @ 2:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I found this....hope its what you are looking for!

according to lots of people, this is the recipe that comes closest to the original Cho Cho.

Cho Cho
(Recipe by Rich Creator)

1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
3 tablespoons Carnation Chocolate Malted Milk powder
1 tablespoon Carnation Original Malted Milk powder

With a mixer, mix on high speed until creamy.
Pour into plastic drinking cups, insert a Popsicle stick, freeze.
(Note: Some recommend using 4 tablespoons of the chocolate malted milk powder instead of 3.)

This message was edited by skydancer on 9-24-11 @ 2:47 PM

pescatore 09-24-2011 @ 3:11 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
That does'nt even come close. Wendys frosty is closer but no match.

ReadingKate 10-22-2011 @ 12:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
As I recall from childhood (and the other evening!!), the cho-chos
were poured into a bathroom sized dixie cup, TINY by any ice
cream lover's standard; a flat popsicle stick inserted and covered
with a flat round paper cover, pierced by the stick to cover the ice
cream and act as a drip shield for the hand(AS IF!!). In Reading, PA
they were made or at least sold by Clover Farms Dairy, but they
discontinued them in the 70s or early 80s. As I recall from the other
night, it was/is a light chocolate malt as creamy as butter, one rolls
the delicate paper cup tween the palms to free the creamy malt
goodness from its paper prison and then the tongue laps furiously to
avoid dripping it all over the lap or steering wheel. I noted the
delicacy was no longer manufactured by local dairy, but a woman
who brought them back to the market for local "boomers" to revisit
the artery clogging (no doubt cuz it couldnt be this creamy
otherwise--and who cares, really?) joys of their youth. No
ingredients were listed on the single serve portions, but I will check
to see on the mass quantity pack. Not sure how it gets so creamy
since malt tends to grainy up ice cream--- think dusty road sundae!

hvac_01453 12-06-2011 @ 4:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Refrence the clown... I found this online for you.  Only $15.00 a poster!
http://www.retroplanet.com/PROD/30194

Nothing is so easy it can't be done wrong.

hvac_01453 12-06-2011 @ 4:55 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
When I was 13YO a stray dog followed me home from school. He was a hideous looking dog but I thought he was pissa! He was about 65# B&W terrior mix that looked like the egg sucker dog in the Disney film.  Earlier in the day The ice cream man drove by and I got an ice cream called a ChoCho bar.  I live in Mass and the big ice cream manufactureris HP Hood & Sons or just Hood. I saw online they made a Cho Cho crunch bar and it appears that they have automobile trading cards. I shared  the ice cream with the dog and he stayed around. I got to keep him... so I named him Cho Cho. I took him everywhere, and I mean everywhere including restaurants, church,... I don't remember the ice cream, but I do the dog... its was spring 1964.a poster is available online for $15 http://www.retroplanet.com/PROD/30194

Nothing is so easy it can't be done wrong.

Marinne 12-12-2011 @ 11:23 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I grew up eating Cho Chos in Reading PA. I would get them from the ice cream man coming down the street. You can still buy them there. Julie's Olde Tyme Cho Chos. Reading, PA 19605. Email address JOTCC@comcast.net
I still enjoy them when I get home to visit.

chochojulie 12-13-2011 @ 8:11 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi! I am Julie from Julie's Olde-Tyme Cho-Chos in Reading, PA. I brought cho-chos back to the Reading area about 5 years ago, and they are currently sold in several locations locally. Some of those places include: V&S-Sinking Spring, Kwik-Shoppe-Shoemakersville, Hershey Harvest-Laureldale, The Dog House-Reading, T&C's Market-Leesport, and C&R Sandwich Shop in Antietam. I hope that this helps some of you who have been looking for cho-chos to make a comeback. They are very creamy and delicious - and I have been told they taste very much like the originals (I am 27, so I was not around for the original cho-chos). If you do try them, please let me know what you think! I would appreciate if you would "like" my page on Facebook as well. Just search for Julie's Olde-Tyme Cho-Chos. Take care everyone, and Merry Christmas!

bonnieleibold 01-29-2012 @ 5:36 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Absolutely do remember them.  Walked past the bakery
every day on my way to school that sold them.  Every
time I eat a Wendy's chocolate frosty it makes me think
of them.  I've also never had anyone else ever tell me
that they remember them either.  I live in eastern
Pennsylvania, so they evidently were nationwide.  The
cho-cho's that we had didn't have any chocolate crunch
as someone else described.  Just the round frozen
malted ice cream on a stick that you rolled in your
hands to get the paper wrapper off.  I wonder if a
frozen 'frosty' on a stick would taste like the cho-
cho's of past?????

Bonnie Leibold

kbpot 04-06-2012 @ 10:41 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have a Cho Cho bar barrell. I plan on selling it on ebay, are there any collectors here who would be interested in purchasing it? respond for pictures  Smile

kori

joeljackson2 04-09-2012 @ 1:41 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
What's a Cho Cho Bar Barrell?

Yours,
JOEL

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts