Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cho Cho Ice Cream Bars From The 50's -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

elbereth1 07-23-2009 @ 1:42 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have an original ad dated Apr.28,1940 that was placed in the L.A.Times for Cho-Cho chocolate malted  ice cream, "AMERICA'S GONE CHO-CHO". The ad shows the cup with the stick[has the clown on the cup], shows illustrations on how to eat the ice cream- 1.Roll cup between hands. 2.Push bottom of cup, etc.,shows a coupon that you can "CLIP NOW" and "take to your dealer" to save 1 cents from the 5 cents price, and goes on th describe the "New Taste Thrill for the Whole Family". I would be happy to post the ad if anyone is interested, only problem being I am not sure how to do that and would need some help.

laura gonzalez

Richcreator 07-23-2009 @ 5:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

It seems like I am the only one here old enough to have enjoyed the cho cho in the 40's, when they first came on the market. The Carnation Co. invented the cho cho, and my original recipe uses Carnation Malted Milk powder.
Go to Temple, PA where cho cho's can be bought, and ask people what they think of the cho cho and most people will wonder what you're talking about. The cho cho imitations are not at all like the originals and people do not fuss over them like in the 40's.

I wonder how long it is going to take Diana to express any appreciation or acknowledgement or gratitude for my recipe?
Frown

--------------------------------------------------
joeljackson2 said:  Let's ALL remember that if we had the Original, it wouldn't taste the same. After age 50 our TASTE BUDS DIE OFF in great numbers.Let's be satisfied with a close facsimile.
---------------------------------------------------

Nonsense!!! Pure nonsense!!!  Gasp

This message was edited by Richcreator on 7-23-09 @ 8:12 PM

dwells 07-24-2009 @ 7:39 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I haven't had a chance to try out Rich's Cho Cho formula, but I certainly appreciate him posting.  For me, the Cho Cho is an ice cream bar with some crunch on the outside.  Since it has been about 40 years since I have seen one, I don't remember what the crunch was.  I only saw the bar from the ice cream man who was driving a 1958 chevy ice cream truck.  Since this thread has been going for years, it looks like most of the big cities seemed to have the cup version.  Or, for the more mature reader, it may have started out in the cup and moved to the bar during the 50-60's.  I have never seen a cho cho in the cup here in Oklahoma.  So Cho Cho's seem to mean two things: Cup for some Bar for others.  The Carnation-Popsicle read a few messages up was very interesting.  It basically tells us that a major ice cream mfg. most likely has the orginal formulas...cup & bar.

diana 07-24-2009 @ 10:53 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Richcreator,

I DO appreciate your contribution to this forum about the Cho Cho's and your recipe. I'm sorry if I hadn't said so earlier but I have been quite busy lately and am just getting to reading the forum. Please except my apologies. You have made some great contributions and given us quite a bit of knowledge and history about Cho Cho's, so thank you so very much.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Mimi 07-24-2009 @ 11:57 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey Richcreator...thank you for your postings and especially the recipe with pics.  I can't tell you how hard I was laughing.  I will try mixing the vanilla ice cream with carnation malt.  When I saw your posting I was picturing some compicated mixture and use of an ice cream maker (don't have) and I loved your recipe.  It was hilarious!  Gonna try it; I promise.  As a Cho Cho lover in the 40's I can tell you that cup you posted is the one we here in SF remember.  It never occurred to me that Carnation would have been the producer; hench  California and New York having access to the same product.  Every one of my friends from SF remembers the ChoCho.  I did get to Tucker's in Alameda and it is nothing like the old ChoCho.  By the way, thanks for helping me connect a few dots by showing the malt container!  You have really made me smile and laugh out loud!  Thanks  again, Mimi

Richcreator 07-24-2009 @ 2:18 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Can you explain what was so hilarious about my recipe?
You seem to have a strange sense of humor.

There was no crunch on the outside of the original cho cho of the 40's. It came in a cup that you rolled in your hands to loosen and remove, creamy & smooth on a stick.

Mimi 07-24-2009 @ 5:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Richcreator...well, I am a cook so when I saw that you had posted a recipe I was picturing cream, sugar, you know...stuff that goes into the making of ice cream.  I also just knew I would never be able to make it because I don't have an ice cream maker.  When I clicked on your recipe and saw it was a can of Carnation malt and a gallon of pre-made ice cream you mixed together.  Sorry Richcreator...it was hilarious. I hope you aren't offended but I thought it was very funny. You know it was a duh moment.  

By the way...I ran over to Safeway to gather the ingredients and NO MALT.  I live in an area where I can no doubt find it but it was an eye opener.  

Richcreator 07-24-2009 @ 7:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Time for another Cho Cho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-a24mBgLjU

jonitn 07-27-2009 @ 5:08 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Rich    I am sooooo grateful for all the info you have contributed..thank you grazia..daunka..etc.  and I am really glad you found out why the humor and laughing...I guess she (he?) never had a REAL  CHO-CHO

Joni

dwells 07-27-2009 @ 7:45 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Rich, there are two "orginal" cho cho's...one in cup form...and the other in bar form.  The cup form...the one you fondly remember started first.  The bar form (see topic title) is the one I fondly remember starting in the 50's.  It's ALL good!  By the way all, I have an email to Popsicle asking if they still have information or intentions on making Cho Cho's.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts