Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / COTTON SOFT JAPANESE CHEESE CAKE Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: COTTON SOFT JAPANESE CHEESE CAKE -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Jenniefrances 05-16-2005 @ 10:42 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,
I've baked your cheesecake quite a few times now, but it doesnt always turn out fluffy, what flour do you use ? I used plain four as opposed to self raising flour. Does 'cake flour' have baking powder in it ? We can only buy plain or self raising flour in Australia although I do have sponge flour and Hong Kong flour.
Thanks,
Jennie

Irene 05-17-2005 @ 10:22 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Jennie,
  Thank you for trying the cheesecake but sorry to hear that it doesn't always turn out the way you wanted it to be. I used the superfine flour for this cheesecake and if you can't find it in Perth you can try using Hong Kong flour instead.Cake flour does not contain any baking powder.

Do let us know the outcome if you do try it again. Thanks.

By the way, have you try the Marble Baked Cheesecake. This cheesecake is easy to bake and plain flour is used instead of superfine flour.Try it someday. You can view a photo of this cheesecake at Diana's Homepage under "Guest Recipe Book"

Happy Baking,
    Irene

Jenniefrances 05-17-2005 @ 5:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I will try using the hong kong flour. We don't have superfine flour here, I think it is something you can only get in Malaysia/Singapore ?
Also I think I don't always use tap water for the water bath, I think the last time I baked it I used hot water. Also, the last time I baked it, I forgot to leave the eggs out of the fridge to get them to room temperature. There was one time I baked it that it turned out very fluffy, I can't remember the condidtions !!
Anyway, I have printed out the marble cheesecake recipe and will give it a go.
Thanks again,
Jennie

stevenson 05-23-2005 @ 4:39 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi everyone !

Sorry I'm beginner in bakery ! but i do love japanese cheescake very much !

Can you please explain to me how to make a water bath ?! and what for ??

Thanks in advance

hi !

SanLim 09-30-2005 @ 10:03 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, I have tried the cheese cake. It tastes excellent. But I have problems cutting the cake. It crumbles and doesn't come in nice slices. What could be the cause?

Enjoy Baking!

Irene 09-30-2005 @ 10:00 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The cheesecake has to be cool completely before cutting. Cheesecake can be kept chilled after it has been baked and cooled completely. It can be served chilled right from the refrigerator. Keeping in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours will let the cheesecake set and firm up. Although cutting cheesecake is quite straightforward, there are a few tricks to achieving perfect slices.

Here is a step-by-step process that, with a little practice, will yield even slices.

One trick to cutting cheesecake neatly is keeping the knife in use clean and smooth. To do this, fill a tall container with hot tap water deep enough to cover the blade of your knife. Dip the knife into the hot water, and then wipe it on a clean towel before making every cut. The constant dipping and cleaning will prevent chunks of cake from the previous slice from depositing on top of the next slice. Some people prefer to cut cheesecake using cheese wire or dental floss, these cutting tools will also work very well.
Depending on the size of your cake, you may choose to cut it into 12 or 16 slices. If cutting the cake into 12 even slices, begin by cutting the cake into quarters, then cut each quarter into thirds. To yield 16 slices, cut the cake into quarters, cut each quarter in half, and each half into a half. Depending on how long the knife you will use is, the first slice made should either by cutting the cake completely in half, (or if the knife is not long enough) by placing the knife's point at the center of the cake.

To simplify removal of the cake slices, run a knife or spatula along the bottom of the cake between the crust and the pan before lifting the first slice upward, outward and onto a serving plate.

Happy Baking,
   Irene

SanLim 10-01-2005 @ 2:32 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Irene,
Thank you so much for your help. I have problems in baking bread with my machine. It does not turn out like a loaf of bread. It comes out very crispy on the surface and not fluffy like a normal white bread. I hope you can give me some tips on this. Thank you again. Hope to hear from you soon.

Enjoy Baking!

Irene 10-01-2005 @ 3:53 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello SanLim,

Have already posted the Bread Machine White Bread for you at the Baking Tips and Ideas section.You can find it under the topic Bread Machine by Oppss. Try the recipe and let us know how it turn out, ok. Thanks

Happy Baking,
    Irene

Joy 10-20-2005 @ 11:33 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi,
I found this website when I was searching for recipe for Japanese sponge like cheesecake. Thank you for the recipe and wonderful tips here. However, after baking it yesterday, I have several questions below. Hope to get some feedback.

Thank you,
Joy

1) Mixing the Egg white
a) The recipe says to whisk the egg white mixture. I did this using a hand-held mixer. Is this the same as whisking?
b) If hand held mixer is ok. At what speed should I mix the egg white? I mixed at low speed initially till foamy, then as I add in the sugar, I increased the speed to the highest. I did this because I read that mixing at high speed is to introduce more air which is the same effect as whisking.  
c) What is a soft peak? I know that as I mix the egg whites, it increases in volumne because of more air introduced. How do I test the peak softness?  Do I basically lift up some of the egg white mixture with a spoon and then drop it back to see if it is standing tall and hard or just fall softly back in a rather rounded mold?

2) Mixing the eggwhite and the cheese mixture
How do I mix the two together? I basically use the same folding method, but realise that at the end, the two mixture is not all well mixed cos after i baked, i could see lines like a marble cake caused by poor mixing, perhaps.

3) Baking tin
I do not have a round tin. Hence, I used a 8" square tin instead. Is this ok?

4) Baking heat & Collapsing cake top
My oven is known to be hotter than the conventional heat.  Hence, I lowered the heat to 250 F instead. I checked the cake after 50 mins and the top was all brown already. Hence, I took it out.  The cake top was beautifully puffed up. However, in about 5 mins, the cake top flattened down. Is this effect of flattening out normal? The end result is not as nice as the picture.

5) Lining the tin
Could I use aluminium foil to line the bottom instead of parchment paper?

Irene 10-21-2005 @ 4:45 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Joy,

I will try my best to answer your questions.

1) Mixing the Egg white
a) The recipe says to whisk the egg white mixture. I did this using a hand-held mixer. Is this the same as whisking?

Answer: Yes you can use a hand-held mixer to whisk the egg white.

b) If hand held mixer is ok. At what speed should I mix the egg white? I mixed at low speed initially till foamy, then as I add in the sugar, I increased the speed to the highest. I did this because I read that mixing at high speed is to introduce more air which is the same effect as whisking.

Answer: Use high speed to whip the egg white and cream of tartar until frothy or foamy.At this stage add in the sugar a little at a time and continue beating until soft peak is form.

c) What is a soft peak? I know that as I mix the egg whites, it increases in volumne because of more air introduced. How do I test the peak softness?  Do I basically lift up some of the egg white mixture with a spoon and then drop it back to see if it is standing tall and hard or just fall softly back in a rather rounded mold?

Answer:The soft peak stage is reached when the peaks of the whites droop slightly, when the beater is turned off and lifted

2) Mixing the eggwhite and the cheese mixture
How do I mix the two together? I basically use the same folding method, but realise that at the end, the two mixture is not all well mixed cos after i baked, i could see lines like a marble cake caused by poor mixing, perhaps.

Answer: Use a whisk instead of spatula when folding in the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture. Stir in one direction until smooth and well combined

3) Baking tin
I do not have a round tin. Hence, I used a 8" square tin instead. Is this ok?

Answer: You can use either a square or round tin.

4) Baking heat & Collapsing cake top
My oven is known to be hotter than the conventional heat.  Hence, I lowered the heat to 250 F instead. I checked the cake after 50 mins and the top was all brown already. Hence, I took it out.  The cake top was beautifully puffed up. However, in about 5 mins, the cake top flattened down. Is this effect of flattening out normal? The end result is not as nice as the picture.

Answer:If the surface of the cake becomes too dark while baking, cover with a piece of aluminium foil.

5) Lining the tin
Could I use aluminium foil to line the bottom instead of parchment paper?

Answer:Haven't use an aluminium foil to line a cake tin before so I don't have the answer. You can always try it out and see the outcome.

Happy Baking,
        Irene

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts