Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / COTTON SOFT JAPANESE CHEESE CAKE Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: COTTON SOFT JAPANESE CHEESE CAKE -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Joy 10-21-2005 @ 7:36 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,

Thank you for replying so quickly. The answers are very clear and helpful.

I have some questions regarding egg beating. Could you help me to understand why I should not beat the egg white mixture till the peak is too high? I thought that by beating till the peak is higher, that will mean more air introduced, and hence a fluffier and lighter cake, isn't it?

Also, by overbeating the egg white, does it mean that the mixture will change from first frothy, than soft peak that increases in some volumne than to high peak in which it increases like 3 times in volumne. And what will happen if i beat somemore? This will move into overbeating stage where beating the mixture will have the opposite effect of beating down the mixture and hence, beating OUT the air instead?

I am a novice at baking and am trying to understand the rational for egg beating.  I guess that the best way for me to understand is to try out beating a few egg whites after your reply Smile  

Thank you,
Joy

Irene 10-21-2005 @ 8:32 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Hi Joy,

Regarding your question on how to beat the egg white here is the website where you can learn more about it

http://www.baking911.com/pantry/eggs.htm

Happy Baking,
     Irene

Joy 10-25-2005 @ 3:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,
Thank you for the weblink. It was very helpful.

Would you or anyone else reading this have any suggestions on how I can 'jazz' up this cheesecake? I would like to add a glaze topping or something that will make this cheesecake more interesting, but at the same time, to be able to retain the texture and simple cotton soft nature of this cheesecake.

Thank you!

Joy

Kris 10-25-2005 @ 3:36 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Joy,

I usually topped this cheesecake with apricot glaze. It's not too overpowering with just a bit of sweetness. My kinda taste Wink

Cheers,
Kris

Irene 10-25-2005 @ 4:01 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Joy,
Kris has just answer your question. Thanks Kris. Joy do you know that Kris baked very beautiful Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake.Want you to see her cheesecake but unfortunately cannot access to the picture. Why Kris? Can you tell Joy how to access to your picture on the cheesecake.

Happy Baking,
     Irene

Joy 10-25-2005 @ 4:58 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene and Kris,

I love the idea of apricot glaze. But, how do I make it? Could you tell me?

Thank you!
Joy

Irene 10-25-2005 @ 6:00 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
This how you can glaze your cheesecake. I don't know how Kris did hers and I do hope she can tell us.

Happy Baking,
     Irene

Glazing:
2 tbsp apricot jam (or whatever jam you like)
1/2 tbsp water

Put the jam and water in a sauce pan .With low heat stir the jam until dissolved

Joy 10-27-2005 @ 8:02 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,

Thanks for the glaze recipe. I will be baking the cake a second time tomorrow, and will top it off with the glaze this time round. Hope it will turn out well Smile

Joy

Joy 10-29-2005 @ 7:35 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,

Sad to say, my second attempt turned out to be a flop again. Like the previous time, it is too dense and not fluffy as it should be. I suspect that the height of the cake is probably half of what it should be. I suspect that the problem could be the following. Please let me know if you have any advice.

1) Overbeating of egg-white.
However, I thought that it seemed fine to me this time round.

2) Mixing of cream and egg-white mixture
From the 911baking website link that you gave previously, I read that when mixing mixtures together, one should always add the lighter to the heavier mixture.  For this recipe, I added the cream mixture into the eggwhite mixture and then mix it together by stirring with a whisk in one direction. Is this the right sequence for mixing the two mixtures?

3) Baking temperature & baking tin
I used a springform cake tin.  Like the last time, the baking temperature is at 250F (because my oven is normally hotter than usual).  After one hour, its still moist at the side so I put it back into the oven and covered the top with foil to prevent further browning.  Took it out after another 10mins and the cake seemed fully cooked. However, it is very dense.  There was no drastic deflating like the last time or any wrinkling.

Hope you could advise. I will try again and hopefully, can report it to be a success.

Lastly, I topped the cake with apricot glaze. I like the taste of it.

Regards,
Joy

Smile

ting 10-31-2005 @ 5:38 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Irene

I would like to ask whether it is suitable to place a thin layer of crusted biscuit/cookies at the base of the cheesecake? Please advice. Thanks.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts