Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Cake recipe Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cake recipe -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

nikki 03-19-2008 @ 8:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I have tried a recipe twice and I have had problems both times.  The cake recipe is from "Special Recipes from the Charleston Cake Lady" cook book.  The cake I have tried to make is the German Chocolate Pound Cake.(Page 4)  The recipe calls for Cake mix, oil, water, eggs and the addition of a 15 ounce container of frosting.  Baked in a Bundt pan.  The problem I have had each time is the cake over flows the pan and sort of looks like a lava flow.  Has anyone made a cake like this and can you solve my problem.  What am I doing wrong.

"Grandma Ikki"

babymikey248 09-17-2008 @ 4:42 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My boyfriend and I tried making a cake like this before...it destroyed the oven. I haven't been baking for too long but I thought it might have been the frosting (i also had to make it twice and we ended up with the pan and two forks!) I'm not sure if the bundt pan isn't big enough but the second time we made it I turned the temperature down and let it cook slower and longer. It didn't overflow but it wouldnt come out of the pan. I think our best bet is to try a bigger cake pan!

nikki 09-18-2008 @ 6:08 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I, at last found out what the problem is/was.  I decided to "google" this type of cake.  (I learned by the way it is called a "crawlin" cake.  Makes sense because it did crawl out of the pan. ) The secret is not to use the mixer.  Hand mix the cake.  I guess when you use a mixer it puts to much volume in the batter.  I did try it after I found this out and the result was a dense but moist cake.  But I have achieved the same results by other methods that did not run the risk of me having to clean cake batter out of the oven.

"Grandma Ikki"

Biffhank 03-08-2009 @ 11:14 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
It sounded like you were using too small of a pan.  Maybe the volume
is the problem if you use a mixer though that seems strange.  I have a
white cake recipe taken from The Wedding Cake Book and the layers
are larger than the pan size indicated.  I avoid the problem by using a
deeper cake pan but it is odd when recipes do not fit the pan indicated.  
Sounds like a good recipe.  I have a similar one for brownies I got from
allrecipes.com.  Called "Brownies to Die For".  I think it has a pan size
problem too.  I think it calls for a 8x8 pan and that works but the
baking time is a lot more than the time indicated because it is so thick
in that size pan.  You can use a 9x9 to help or anticipate a longer
baking time with the 8x8 size.  Try it!!

Oregon Baker

nikki 03-08-2009 @ 11:39 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I had used a standard Bundt cake pan.  Tried the recipe several times before I found out about not using a mixer.
I have made many other Bundt cakes and have found them to be better than the "Crawlin" cakes that use a container of frosting in the batter.  There are many recipes that make a moist rich cake.  So I will not be making any more from the cook book that call for the frosting in the batter. I figure there are far to many recipes to try to waste my time(not to mention the money) on one that does not turn out.

"Grandma Ikki"

IngaBakes 03-16-2009 @ 1:18 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
When you bake with a bundt tin, measure how many cups of liquid fill the tin.  A large bundt tin is a 12 cup tin- how much volume does your cake mix make?  When filling a bundt tin, only use enough batter to go 3/4 in the tin otherwise it will over flow.  If you have too much batter, fill another tin, or line a muffin tray with papers, bake them and freeze them for mid week snacks.

simrnz 04-17-2009 @ 10:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The most important thing while making cake in a  Bundt pan is to fill the pan at least one and half inch lower than top. IF your cake ingredients need more raising or melting space, then you should keep it 2 to 3 inches lower than the top.  

<a href="http://www.recipesexpert.com/desserts.html">Desserts</a>  

Lupilu 08-18-2009 @ 12:27 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Until about a year ago, I thought a "Bundt" pan was a Bundt pan, was a Bundt pan, etc. Discovered after a few experiences like you describe, they come in all different sizes. You might check the size and capacity of the pan you're using and get a bigger pan. Lots of sources for Bundt pans online.

Doesn't everyone sing while they cook?

ivalla 09-26-2009 @ 11:52 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey i found a page where you can find lots of recipes  to
make all kind of cakes, I hope you can find something
delicious!
http://www.recipebuddys.
com

Smile

Cook

nikki 09-26-2009 @ 2:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The site looks interseting.  Course that's all I need is another source for recipes.
Would love to figure out how Julie did it making the recipes in Julia Child's book Mastering The Art of French Cooking.  I mean really, can you make all those recipes in a year and not gain a gazillion pounds?!
By the way if you have not checked out http://www.northpole.com there are loads of recipes there as well. Have to watch out I have found errors but all in all they look pretty interesting.  Also there are things for kids to do.  Something to keep in mind closer to the holidays.

"Grandma Ikki"

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts