Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / how to get crinkly top on brownie? Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: how to get crinkly top on brownie?

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

shell 06-16-2005 @ 5:08 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello

I have been making brownies which have turned out very nice and everyone loves them but they are missing one thing..... that crinkly top that you sometimes get on brownies. I have used the Ghirardelli mix in the past and they have the top that I am aiming for with my own. I use butter in mine and the ghirardelli mix uses oil. Could this be the key?

Many thanks in advance

diana 06-16-2005 @ 8:58 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi shell,

I have heard that when you use a store-bought brownie mix that they add ingredients to the mix that can make the brownies more "crinkly" on top. I've also heard that it's the sugar in the brownies that make them shiny and crinkly on top. Using oil instead of butter won't make a difference. Always mix your brownies by hand and mix well.

Here's a brownie recipe from Gale Gand of the Food Network that people rave about. Why not give them a try?

Fudgy Brownies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium pan over very low heat. Stir together and remove from the heat. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in the flour and salt. Add nuts. Spread the mixture into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Cool before cutting.

If you make them, please let us know how they turned out. Good luck!

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

sunnie 07-12-2005 @ 9:23 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
heya,

I find it happens when everything is warm.  The eggs and everything should be at room temp.  Hot water (if water is in the recipe) helps with this too.  If your adding milk heat it just a little.

Good luck!

Sunnie Smile

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts