Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Proofing bread in a warming drawer Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Proofing bread in a warming drawer

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

gpatterson002 01-21-2006 @ 2:28 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Very recently, I purchased a range that has a warming drawer with a setting for proofing bread. I have read recipes that call for a pan of water be placed in the oven when proofing bread. Under what circumstances would the extra moisture be necessary? As you probably can guess, I am a newbie!

Answers will be appreciated.

Wishing you a good day!
Gary

Elle 01-29-2006 @ 2:06 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Gary,

When I proof bread dough, I don't use a warming drawer (unless the temp. is very cold, in which case I put the dough in my oven that has not been heated) so I cannot say how much water would make it soggy, or if it would at all, but if you get "The Bread Bible" by Rose Levy Berenbaum, I think she uses that technique.  As I said before, I don't proof my bread in a warming oven because the flavors develope more if left to rise at in a room that is about 70-72º.  Another good book is "The Bread Book" by Linda Collister and Anthoney Blake.  That is the one I use most often.  

Elle

Elle
https://www.active.com/donate/tntin/tntinCProvo

gpatterson002 01-29-2006 @ 8:57 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thank you for the references, Elle

Gary

Wishing you a good day!
Gary

natcat 02-01-2006 @ 7:28 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Gary
  I read that you just bought a range with a warming drawer, with a setting for proofing bread!! how lucky can you be!!! as long as the warming drawer is on the proofing bread setting, & your bread is in a well  greased  bowl, with the top of the bread dough greased or (OILED), & there is a piece of plastic warp over the bowl, that would be the perfect place for your bread to be. Happy Baking!!! I don't believe you would need any water for moisture, that would only be if you put your bread dough, to raise the first time, in the oven, then it would need a little extra moisture. Smile

Have A Sweet day!!
Carol

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts