Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Carrot Cake with Butter Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Carrot Cake with Butter

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

polysorbate80 12-29-2005 @ 8:58 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I just made a carrot cake tonight using a well rated recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20423,00.html

I have not tasted it yet because it's for work tomorrow, but I had a bit of a problem. Does it matter if butter or oil is used? The recipe I had called for butter, most of the other recipes I have seen called for oil. And could the fact that I used butter (which I know will burn before oil) explain the excessive browning (almost burnt!) or is that another thing I can blame on the electic stove? Thanks Smile

natcat 12-29-2005 @ 9:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Hi, You picked a great chef !!! I watch him everyday!!! I think it is, or could be the temperature in your oven, and make sure you put your baked goods in the middle of the oven, so it's not too high or low, so the cake doesn't burn. Also, do you have an oven temperature gauge?/ if not, you should go out & pick one up, it really makes a difference, I know it does in our oven. Smile

Have A Sweet day!!

polysorbate80 12-30-2005 @ 4:53 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Yeah I think I am going to buy a thermometer for the oven so I can see exactly what 350 really is Smile

natcat 01-02-2006 @ 8:49 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
TextTextText

Smile  Happy New Year polysorbate80 !!!!
  you know?? it's really wierd, because when we moved into our apt., the stove with oven, were NEW, and when we put the oven temp. gauge in there, we found out that the oven is off about 6 to 7 degrees(too hot), which in baking,as you know, is important. I guess out there, there are a lot of people that don't care, then when they go to bake cookies, etc... the cookies burn!! when I was about 19 Gasp & just married, it happened to me, & i couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't doing anything wrong, I followed the recipe, then put them into the oven, for the specified time & they burned.. if I only would have know then!!

Have A Sweet day!!

natcat 01-25-2006 @ 2:04 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Polysorbate80
I have a recipe for a carrot cake that I've used for years, if you want it, you can send an e-mail to
  natcat6327@sbcglobal.net

Have A Sweet day!!

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts