Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Decorative Cake Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Decorative Cake

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Rich 04-05-2005 @ 4:59 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and haven't done a lot of baking although I do lots of other cooking.

Can anyone give me tips toward a decorative sponge cake. My plan is a three tier wedding cake but with filled sponge instead of fruitcake.

I'd like to put a spongecake 'ski-slope' on the side and two marzipan skiers on top as the bride and groom.

I'm looking for anytips at all.

Regards

Richard

TeckPoh 05-10-2005 @ 2:45 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Rich

I hope this reply isn't too late. The ski-slope cake sounds exciting. However, for a sculptured cake like that, a firmer cake is more appropriate, for 2 reasons:

1. For easier sculpting (chill cake first).
2. To be able to hold the weight of the skiers figurines. A sponge would crack and fall apart.

The cake must be properly dowelled to prevent an 'avalanche'!

HTH!
TP
http://www.tpcalcake.net

TeckPoh 05-10-2005 @ 2:47 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Forgot to mention, butter or pound cakes are good choices.

warm regards,TeckPoh

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts