Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Sides of cake hard and overbrowned Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Sides of cake hard and overbrowned

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

hepeskin 10-22-2006 @ 12:48 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello, Diana: I am finding that sometimes the sides of my cakes are hard and overbrowned - this is in spite of lowering the temperature and shortening baking time.  The inside of the cake is nice and fluffy - it is the 1/8 inch or so of the sides that are givimg me a problem.  Is there a way I can avoid this? Thank you. Heather

Heather

diana 10-22-2006 @ 1:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Heather,

For the most even baking, I prefer heavy, light-color pans, preferably with a shiny finish. Darker pans tend to absorb more heat than lighter shiny pans and can leave edges of cake crusty and overbrowned. If using dark pans, always check cakes for doneness about 5 minutes before recommended time. For nonstick pans, which release cakes easily, finishes range from light silver to black. The disadvantage of the dark pan is the risk of overbrowning and, of course, if you cut the cake in the pan the finish is scratched.

Hope this information helps.

Heather, did you read the information about Guava that I left for you on the Forum earlier today?

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

This message was edited by diana on 10-22-06 @ 1:09 PM

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts