Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / measurements Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: measurements -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

huiz 01-22-2006 @ 11:25 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Im not sure how to measure flour by cup . So if it say 1 cup flour is equal to how many Grams? and 100ml of flour equal to how many Grams..

diana 01-23-2006 @ 9:21 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi huiz,

In order to measure flour correctly, you need to weigh it with a kitchen scale for accuracy, that is if you don't have imperial measuring cups. You can't measure cups into grams as cups is a "Volume" measurement, where Grams is a Weight measurement. Milileters are a Volume measurement, so you can't convert mililiters into grams as Grams is a Weight. Also, milileters are used for liquid ingredients, not dry such as flour, so measuring by mL's will not be correct. You must measure by grams (metric weight) or ounces (US imperial weight).

Here are approximate weights for all-purpose (or plain) flour:

1 cup all-purpose flour or plain flour equals (sifted before measuring) 125 grams.
1 cup all-purpose flour or plain flour equals (not sifted) 140 grams.

These measurements are approximates, and it is advised that you weigh the flour to get a correct weight, then measure into a measuring cup, spooning flour into a 1 cup measure, then level off with a knife for accuracy (for using in your recipe).

I hope this information helps you out abit.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

huiz 01-24-2006 @ 1:21 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
But i bought some cookbooks and they put 200ml of flour.. Im so puzzled.

huiz 01-24-2006 @ 1:21 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
But i bought some cookbooks and they put 200ml of flour.. Im so puzzled.

natcat 02-28-2006 @ 8:28 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Huiz
  I just looked at my measuring cups, & 200 ml is 7 ounces.
   If you can find a food scale, to measure with, you will find out the measurements better,
  Even when you find the same recipe, in different cookbooks, sometimes, the measurements will be different, it's the chef's just have different ideas.
   I have a digital food scale, to measure my ingredients on, also, to measure my loaves of bread on, to make sure the loaves of bread are exactly the same, before I bake them. If you can order one, online, that runs on a 9 volt battery, that's what I have, I ordered it from http://bakerscatalogue.com they should be able to help. Good Luck Smile

Have A Sweet day!!
Carol

natcat 02-28-2006 @ 8:48 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Huiz
  I just measured 200 ml of flour, & it is 128 grams. Like I said, before just a minute ago, if you can get an electronic scale, that runs on 1-9volt battery, they are much more accurate.
  trying to measure ingredients can get confusing, because they tell you, you have to have so many different cup sizes.
  using an electronic scale, so I have found out myself, is the answer I was looking for, to try to get the ingredients accurate for my baking.

Have A Sweet day!!
Carol

natcat 02-28-2006 @ 8:57 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Huiz,
  If you want to go to the bakers catalogue website, & look for " gadgets & tools" you'll find " measures & SCALES".
  just trying to help

Have A Sweet day!!
Carol

assignmentUK 04-13-2021 @ 10:49 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

meyer121 04-17-2021 @ 1:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

krogerbest 06-07-2021 @ 5:25 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts