Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Substitute for vegetable shortening Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Substitute for vegetable shortening -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

sandrine 02-28-2005 @ 8:32 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello,

I spent one year in the US more than 10 years ago, where I really enjoyed all the deserts and pastries offered!
My children have now reached the age where they can help me baking, and this weekend I wanted to make a "snow white" pie (as the one seen in the Disney animated pictures) but got stuck when it came to the ingredient shortening, which I can not easily find in Belgium. Would anyone know a good substitute for this?

Thank you very much for all comments.

Regards,

Sandrine.

diana 02-28-2005 @ 9:34 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Sandrine,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Website and to the Discussion Forum.

If you are speaking about the apple pie "Snow White" made in the Disney animated movie, then you can substitute the vegetable shortening in the pie crust with butter, margarine, or a combination of butter and lard, or even vegetable suet.

Please let us know how the pie turns out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

sandrine 03-01-2005 @ 12:49 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Diana,

Thanks for your reply. Well it doesn't seem too difficult! I just wanted to make sure because I have memories of trying to make zucchine bread a few years ago and it asked for baking soda and baking powder if I remember correctly and I just added more of one ingredient because I didn't have the other one and it turned out to be a big mistake.

I'll keep you posted on the snow white pie.

Regards,

Sandrine.

michelle 05-12-2005 @ 11:27 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
In england (and I presume the rest of europe) vegetable shortening is called white vegetable fat and is usually sold under the brand names of 'trex' and 'white flora'. I know certainly the flora doesn't say on the packet what it actually is and it's usually found with the cooking fats in the chilled section at the supermarket. hope this helps
Michelle

Gitte 05-24-2005 @ 7:10 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Sandrine,
have the same problem here in Germany...I tried "Pflanzenfett" which did not work, I tried "Biskin for baking" which worked much better in some recipes..however best is to try your recipes with different types of fat and decide for yourself which you like best...red velvet cake taste better with butter - to me - however, american butter contains more water that the german made butter does...have fun baking Smile

best regards, Gitte

barnbumbambi 08-05-2006 @ 5:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Does butter or margarine work as a substitute for vegetable shortening with everything? Like in sugar cookies?

diana 08-05-2006 @ 5:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi barnbumbambi,

Butter or margarine can work as a substitute in alot of recipes including sugar cookies. It just depends on the recipe. There are many recipes on the internet that include butter or margarine when making sugar cookies. Butter or margarine is not always recommended for recipes calling for vegetable shortening, but in many cases, it can be substituted.

Hope this information helps you out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Goochygirl 10-09-2007 @ 5:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello! I'm new here to the forums and don't know if it's a little late to reply to this, but, within the past year, My family has changed our way of eating and has cut out the vegetable shortening, as it contains alot of trans fat and preservatives. I have replaced butter for the shortening in almost all of my recipes and so far, so good.It does seem as though it has a softer texture, and if your looking for firmness(like in icings) it is a bit of a challenge...I'm still looking for ideas for that.

aussieIngrid 10-09-2007 @ 12:55 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I live in Australia. I always presumed that vegetable shortening was 'copha'. Here it is packaged like butter but in white paper and When it is cold it looks like this block of white.

Warmly,
Ingrid

Erica 11-28-2007 @ 4:36 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am hoping someone in Europe can help me with the reverse problem (sort of) from Sandrine.

I live in the USA.  I have a recipe for Lebkuchen from my mother that calls for shortening.  At least that's how its written.  However, I do not remember my mother ever having shortening in the house.  Also, this is supposed to be an old family recipe, I do not believe that my grandmother used shortening back in the late 1800's in Germany.  I would like to try making the original recipe, without shortening, but when I tried substituting butter, it did not come out.

The recipe I have call for sugar, honey, shortening, egg, flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, nuts, citron.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts