Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Lemon/Lime/or Orange Curd Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Lemon/Lime/or Orange Curd

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Needlepoint142 08-02-2004 @ 10:04 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Has anyone ever made their own curds? I know that you can purchase them. Are the homemade curds better tasting?

diana 08-03-2004 @ 10:55 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Needlepoint142,

Most lemon curds found in supermarkets are definitely not as good as homemade curds.. But on that note, I must say there are two brands I do like alot. They are both from England. Duerr's Lemon Curd is very very good, and Elizabethan Curds are really some of the best I've tried. They make lemon, orange, raspberry and key lime curds and all are wonderful.

The best curds are homemade, as you really can't find a store-bought curd that will taste as fresh and tasty as those made in your own kitchen.

A guest to Diana's Desserts website makes her own curds and I will ask her for her recipe. She is quite a perfectionest when it comes to making curds, so she should have a very good recipe.

I will post her recipe on the forum and on my website once I gotten in touch with her.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

diana 08-03-2004 @ 5:50 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Needlepoint142,

Here are 2 recipes for Lemon Curd from Sadie, a guest to Diana's Desserts Website.

LEMON CURD

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
2 large whole eggs, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest

Instructions:
Combine whole eggs and egg yolks in the top of a double boiler and whisk lightly. Whisk in sugar and lemon juice.

Place the top of the double boiler over gently simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 5 - 10 minutes until the mixture thickens (it will coat the back of the spoon...I do mine 10 minutes). Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle. Remove pan from the simmering water. Add the butter to the mixture a piece at a time and stir until thoroughly incorporated.

Pour into a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the curd. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. The mixture will thicken more as it cools. Keep tightly covered in the refrigerator.

LEMON CURD RECIPE #2

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
2/3 cup strained fresh lemon juice
4 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into 4 pieces

Instructions:
In top of a double boiler whisk eggs until smooth. Whisk in sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Place over simmering water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thick and pale yellow - about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in butter, one tablespoon at a time until thoroughly combined and smooth. Pour into a small bowl and set over ice, stirring occasionally to cool (I don't always do this). Cover with plastic wrap touching the curd's surface and store in the refrigerator.

Sadie's Notes:
I've had good luck with both these recipes. The curd has been lovely and smooth and a beautiful color. Making the curd seems to take less time than trying to find a store that sells a good brand.

Hope this helps all of you who want to make a good homemade lemon curd......Diana

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Needlepoint142 08-03-2004 @ 7:57 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks so much !!!

There is a gourmet shop/tearoom in Norfolk, VA, called Rowena's. Rowena sells her wares through various catalogs. She makes yummy pound cakes and serves curd on slices of the various pound cakes. She even makes an almond pound cake.

It was my plan to make curds at home to serve on a homemade pound cake for my family.

diana 08-04-2004 @ 6:38 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Needlepoint142,

I think that using lemon curd on pound cake is a great idea. I know of Rowena's and her lemon curd and other products. They are very good. I think you should try making your own with one of the above recipes. I know you'll find it satifying and so much better than store-bought curd.

Have you been to rowena's website? They sell all of her products.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Needlepoint142 08-04-2004 @ 7:23 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Yes, I've been to her website. Her products are fantastic, but I prefer making my own things because I get a kick out of cooking. It isn't just because I refuse to pay $30.00 for an almond pound cake !!!

On that same note, I prefer making my own soups. Some of the best soups I've eaten were over at The Trellis in Williamsburg, home of Marcel who LOVES raspberries. I'm allergic to raspberries....my only food allergy. I've actually met him several times and he's quite nice besides being very talented. He is famous for his chocolate desserts.....which are literally to die for.

michelle 10-16-2004 @ 2:14 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I make all my own jams and curds. They are definately superior to shop bought ones. Heres a recpie for a flavoured curd I've never seen in the shops. The blackberries ara also known as brambles in some places.

Blackberry and apple curd.
1lb Apples [peeled and cored] - 2lb Blackberries - Juice of 2 Lemons - 8oz Butter - 2½lb Caster Sugar - 4 Beaten Eggs

PUT FRUIT IN A SAUCEPAN WITH A SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER. COOK UNTIL SOFT THEN PUT THROUGH A SIEVE.pUT PULP IN A MIXING BOWL WITH LEMON JUICE BUTTER AND SUGAR. PLACE OVER A PAN OF SIMMERING WATER. STIRRING OCCASSIONALLY COOK UNTIL BUTTER AND SUGAR HAVE MELTED . ADD EGGS AND COOK STIRRING CONSTANTLY UNTIL MIXTURE THICKENS. PUT INTO HOT JARS. SEAL AND LABEL

This will keep for approx 2 months in a cool place.

Needlepoint142 10-16-2004 @ 8:40 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thank you very much. I've been making homemade chutneys lately. I'm allergic to raspberries and blackberries.

The house certainly does smell good with all the spices and other ingredients as the chutney simmers.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts