Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Marzipan Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Marzipan

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

jcheng 10-30-2003 @ 4:32 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Diana,

I live in Southern California, and was wondering if you knew where we can buy marzipan from?

Thank you for your help.

michelle 01-10-2004 @ 2:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I don't know where you can buy it. But here's 2 recepies for almond paste which you can use instead of marzipan. The flavour and texture is very similar
recipe 1    
170g icing sugar
170g caster sugar
340g ground almonds
225g glucose syrup

recipe 2
225g icing sugar
225g caster sugar
445g ground almonds
6 egg yolks

method
1 carefully sieve icing sugar twice.
2 Place dry ingrediants into a mixing bowl and stir together.
3 for recepie 1 warm the glucose syrup in a seperate bowl in hot water.
4 Pour the warm glucose syrup or egg yolks into the dry ingrediants
5 mix together using a hook shaped beater until a pliable paste is formed Add more glucose or egg yolks if necessary
6 Store in a sealed food-approved polythene bag with the date is was made until required

diana 01-10-2004 @ 9:46 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi jcheng and Michelle,

Marzipan can be purchased in almost any supermarket in the United States. It can be found (usually) on the aisle where they carry the baking ingredients. One brand I know of that comes in a tube is made by Odense. They also make an Almond Paste in a tube which is usually found right next to the Marzipan. Both products are boxed and weigh 7 oz. I am quite sure.

Michelle, thank you for the Almond Paste recipe.

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

ChefWinson 01-10-2004 @ 11:04 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi everybody:

As a new member myself, I am very impressed about the interactivity that this site is bring about.

For sure I will be coming here more often.  Well done Diana.

Chef Winson

diana 01-11-2004 @ 8:53 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Chef Winson

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Website and to Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum.

Thank you for your very kind words.

I hope that you continue to enjoy both the website and the Discussion Forum.

Take care.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

carol 09-08-2004 @ 11:14 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Diana, this is the first time I am posting on this site.  I didn't realized I had registered so long ago.

Another brand, which I prefer is Solo Almond Paste and Marzipan.  They come in 8 oz. cans, which most recipes do call for 8 oz. not 7 oz. like Odense.  When you use the 7 oz. tube in place of the 8 oz. can you do lose a bit of the flavor. The Solo Almond Paste and Marzipan is usually found the aisle with the pie fillings.  Here is Solo's website, they also have lots of fillings which are in the grocery stores.  
http://www.solofoods.com

Always Have Fun Baking
Carol Cugliani

This message was edited by carol on 9-8-04 @ 11:15 AM

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts