Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / Recipe for Orange curd Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Recipe for Orange curd -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Shimul 02-18-2005 @ 8:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Does anyone have a good recipe for Orange curd? I am planning on making some chocolate cake and i think it will go beautifully with it.

Thanks,
Shimul

diana 02-18-2005 @ 10:27 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Shimul,

Here is a very good recipe for Orange Curd:

Orange Curd

Curd is a soft, thick custard containing sugar, butter, eggs, citrus juice, and citrus zest. It is delicious on scones with a dollop of jam, or it can be used as a filling for cakes and pies. Lemon curd is the most common type of curd you'll find, but the zest and juice of either oranges or limes make for an interesting spread as well.

The trick to curd is both heating it slowly without thickening the eggs too quickly, yet providing enough acidity to help the proteins in the egg to bond. So in the case of orange curd, you need to use a small proportion of lemon juice in the mix.

Orange Curd

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons cup lemon juice
1 1/2 navel oranges (or 1/2 cup orange juice)
1 tablespoons orange zest

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until a paste is formed.
2. Add 1 egg at a time while mixing and then add yolks one at a time. Beat for 1 minute.
3. Mix in the lemon and orange juice.
4. In a medium-sized, heavy-based saucepan, cook the mixture over low heat until the white butter/sugar particles dissolve, stirring constantly. There may be traces of white foam sitting on top of mixture, which will eventually dissolve and disappear once thickened.
5. Increase to medium heat and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture reaches 170° F on a candy thermometer or thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let mixture boil.
6. Remove curd from heat. Stir in orange zest.
7. Pour curd into a medium-sized bowl and cover the surface of the curd with plastic wrap to prevent a pudding-like skin from forming.
8. Chill curd in refrigerator (it will thicken further as it chills).

Please let me know if you like this recipe and if you made the Orange Curd, how it turned out.

How will you be using the Orange Curd with the chocolate cake? As a filling or frosting, or on the side?

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Shimul 02-23-2005 @ 11:17 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks Diana. I will let you know how it turns out. I plan to use the orange curd on the side of a warm chocolate cake. Sounds quite yummy for the winter! Smile  

- Shimul

diana 02-23-2005 @ 12:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Shimul,

Yes, that does sound yummy for the winter.

By the way, did you get my Discussion forum reply to your question about butter, and if so, did you find the Plugra butter in your area. Unsalted is the best for baking.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Shimul 02-24-2005 @ 9:08 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Diana,

Yes, I did get your reply about Plugra. Thank you so much. In fact, I found it at Dean and Deluca's in the city and picked up a block. I plan to use it this weekend when I make the chocolate cake and orange curd. I think the taste difference will show up dramatically in the orange curd. The last time I made lemon curd, I got this distinctive taste of the butter I had used and didn't like it too much.

Will keep you posted.

- Shimul

Ivymeil 09-05-2021 @ 8:03 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 02-14-2022 @ 6:28 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-14-2022 @ 6:28 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 03-05-2022 @ 10:04 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 03-05-2022 @ 11:27 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts