Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / What is "dough conditioner" Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: What is "dough conditioner" -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

AlsGal 05-27-2008 @ 6:28 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Please be gentle with me if this is in the wrong forum as I'm new here but can someone please tell me what dough conditioner is?   Is it something I can make or something I buy?   Where would I get it?  

I'm trying out a new kind of yeast roll recipe and it calls for the dough conditioner.   Any help will be soooo appreciated!   TIA!

snoboard 05-29-2008 @ 12:57 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
This is from: http://www.foodproductdesign.com/articles/463/463_1199cc.html

Dough and Bread
Conditioners

November 1999 -- Culinary Connection
By: Klaus Tenbergen

It is the aim of every Master Baker to produce a high-quality bread that is well aerated, tasty, and has an appealing appearance. The decisive factors in the production of such a bread are flour quality, dough mixing, dough temperature, fermentation, manipulation, molding, proofing and baking. A minimal recipe for bread should include flour, water, salt and yeast or sourdough starter. However, it would be difficult to produce a consistent bread day after day using only these ingredients. Variations in flour quality, yeast activity, mixing intensity, proofing and baking combine to affect the finished product. Bakers have long added small amounts of other ingredients to improve bread quality - fats, milk, sugar, malted flour, and other ingredients. These add desirable characteristics such as flavor, color, tenderness and volume. Advances in the understanding of the science behind bread-making processes have led to increasingly sophisticated additives.

Widely accepted by European and North American bakers, dough conditioners are less frequently used in the United States. Properly used, however, dough conditioners help compensate for ingredient and process variability. They provide more consistent quality in the finished bread, and are completely safe and free of preservatives.

snoboard 05-29-2008 @ 1:00 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Oops, I didn't answer your qestion as 'where to buy it?'  Because I really don't know, haven't used it since I left Europe.

akcooker 06-01-2008 @ 5:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks, Snoboard for the info and link, as I, too, have wondered about dough enhancers.  I read more information on the link, and it seems that dough enhancers are particularly useful in businesses (because people need to be time conscious, and also need a longer shelf life for products).  I searched for dough enhancer to buy and found a 50 lb bag at one site!  AlsGal, I did find a 16 oz can at www.pleasanthillgrain.com for 4.99  and when you click the link that describes it further, you can see ingredients such as whey, soy lecithin.  

'Best; Anne

Biffhank 03-08-2009 @ 11:16 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
You can also find dough conditioner at www.kingarthurflour.com.  It is an
awesome place to get baking supplies and they have expanded the site to
include mixes and gift baskets as well as great blogs and recipes.  Check
it out.  They have your dough conditioner too.

Oregon Baker

edwardmorgan 12-30-2021 @ 10:33 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

jahny1 01-01-2022 @ 8:45 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 04-07-2022 @ 3:18 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 04-07-2022 @ 3:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Borado 04-19-2022 @ 2:45 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts