Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Can fried apple pies be baked? Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Can fried apple pies be baked?

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

dreamjojo 09-12-2006 @ 6:51 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I just found this site this morning and wow - what great recipes! I would like to make the fried apple pies but I would rather bake them then deep fry them (as I don't have a deep fryer). Do you think this can be done using the recipe exactly or modifying it? Thanks.

diana 09-12-2006 @ 10:07 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi dreamjojo,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts website and Discussion forum.

First, I don't know if the recipe on my website for Fried Apple Pies can be baked instead of deep fried. I have never tried preparing them that way. I suppose you could try it, baking them in a 350 degree F oven for 20 or so minutes. I just can't guarantee that they'll turn out okay.

I do have a recipe from Pillsbury for Oven Fried Apple Pies that you may want to try instead.

Here's the recipe:

Oven-Fried Apple Pies

Prep Time: 20 min ; Start to Finish: 1 hr

Making mini apple pies is just kids' play when you use refrigerated biscuits for the wrappers.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (1 lb. 1.3-oz.) can Pillsbury® Grands!® Refrigerated Extra Rich Biscuits
1 cup cinnamon and spice apple pie filling and topping (from 21-oz. resealable can)
4 teaspoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press or roll each to form 5-inch round. Place on sprayed cookie sheets.
3. Place 2 tablespoons pie filling slightly off center on each biscuit round on one cookie sheet. Fold biscuits over filling; press edges with fork to seal. Prick top of each 3 times with fork. Brush each with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar mixture.
4. Bake at 375°F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. (Some filling may bubble out at edges.) Repeat with biscuit rounds on second cookie sheet. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm.

Makes 8 pies.

Good luck and please let us know how either of these recipes worked out for you.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts