Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / making a cake more dense Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: making a cake more dense

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

joann 04-26-2006 @ 7:32 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Dear Diana,
I made the Mary Ann Pan Cake this past weekend.  Everyone loved it.
Thanks so much for the great info.
I just love this site.

Sincerely,
Joann Smile  Wink

baker

joann 04-23-2006 @ 7:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks Diana, I bought the Mary Ann Pan and followed the recipe and it turned out great.  

Joann Smile

baker

diana 04-14-2006 @ 8:21 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Joann,

Here are 2 recipes from Williams Sonoma for a Mary Ann Cake and a Daisy Ann Cake that use Lemon Curd for the middle section. Both recipes use 4 eggs. Hope this helps and please let me know if your cake turned out well.

Mary Ann Cake with Lemon Curd and Blueberries

Made from lemon juice, sugar, butter and egg yolks, lemon curd is a rich, creamy mixture that is traditionally served with scones and is also used to fill pastries. Here, it becomes a delicious base for fresh blueberries atop our Mary Ann cake. You can use prepared lemon curd or make it from scratch (see related recipes at right).

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 cups lemon curd
1 1/2 cups blueberries
Confectioners sugar for dusting (optional)

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a Mary Ann cake pan.

Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until blended. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour, beating just until blended and no lumps of flour remain.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the cake out onto the rack and let cool completely, at least 1 hour.

Just before serving, spoon the lemon curd into the well of the cake, spreading it to the edges. Arrange the blueberries on top of the curd. Dust the cake with confectioners sugar. Serves 12 to 16.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

Daisy Ann Cake with Lemon Curd and Berries

This cake is baked in our Daisy Ann pan, a flower-shaped version inspired by the classic Mary Anns cake shell pans. First introduced in the United States in 1921, those pans produced light cake shells for holding custards, fruit curds or fresh berries.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room
  temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup lemon curd
1/3 cup heavy cream, whipped to medium-firm peaks
12 raspberries or 6 strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
1/4 to 1/2 cup blueberries
Confectioners sugar for dusting (optional)

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a Daisy Ann cake pan.

Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until blended. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour, beating just until blended and no lumps of flour remain.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the cake out onto the rack and let cool completely, at least 1 hour.

Put the lemon curd in a bowl. Using a large rubber spatula, gently stir the whipped cream into the curd until no white streaks remain. Spread the lemon curd mixture in the well of the cake. Place 1 raspberry or 1 strawberry half, cut side down, on top of the curd in each flute. Mound the blueberries in the center of the lemon curd. Dust the cake with confectioners sugar.

Serves 12 to 16.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

joann 04-13-2006 @ 4:53 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
How do I make a cake more dense??  Would I add an extra egg, or perhaps instant pudding?  I'm using a "Mary Ann " Pan.  I want to put Lemon Curd in the space on top of the cake.  I'm afraid it won't come out of the pan if I don't make it a little more dense.
I'll be looking forward to any suggestions.
Joann Smile  Smile

baker

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts