Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / liqueor and buttermilk Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: liqueor and buttermilk

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

juststarting 05-18-2004 @ 5:31 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi

I want to bake a coffee flavoured cake which requires coffee liqueor.  Where can I find this in the grocery store?

Also where can I find buttermilk or sourmilk?  Is sourmilk sour cream?

Thanks.

diana 05-18-2004 @ 8:07 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Juststarting,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum and to Diana's Desserts website.

Where do you live, in what country?

Here in the USA, we can find Coffee liqueur in the liquor section of our local supermarkets (like at a Safeway) or at stores where they sell alcoholic beverages (liquor stores).

Buttermilk is found in the dairy section of a grocery store or supermarket where the milk, cream etc. are kept.

Sour milk is not sour cream, it is not somethng you buy, it's something you make at home yourself. Alot of recipes call for sour milk, here is how to make it:

To Make Sour Milk:
Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk; let stand 5 minutes, or mix 4 teaspoons white (clear) vinegar with enough milk to make 1 cup.

Hope this information helps you out. Please let me know.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Irene 05-19-2004 @ 2:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
If you can't find Coffee Liqueur at the place where you lived you can always make your own.Here is a recipe for homemade Coffee Liqueur.

Happy Baking,
Irene

Coffee Liqueur

Sugar Syrup:
1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water

Mix ingredients in a large pan. Heat to boiling, stirring often. Lower heat and simmer for 3 mins. Pour syrup int a glass container and cool to room temperature

Liqueur
3 cups sugar syrup
1/2 cups instant coffee
2 1/2 cups vodka
4 tsp vanill

Stir into the sugar syrup 1/2 cup instant coffee until very smooth. Pour into a screw top jar or bottle. Stir in 2 1/2 cups vodka and 4 tsp of vanilla. Close jar and store in a cool dark place for at least a week to age- the longer the better.

This message was edited by Irene on 5-19-04 @ 2:31 PM

juststarting 05-19-2004 @ 3:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
THanks!! I will search my local liquor store for coffee liqour and for the buttermilk.  BTW, I live in Ithaca NY.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts