Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Stabilizing Whipped Cream Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Stabilizing Whipped Cream

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

diana 05-17-2004 @ 9:15 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi,

I received an email from Pam, a baker who makes desserts from her home and sells to restaurants. She asked me if I knew of any way to make whipped cream that wouldn't "break down" for 2 to 3 days, and I emailed her back with an answer but my email was returned due to "Mail Quota Exceeded", so Pam, if you use Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum, here is some information for you and for anyone else who may benefit by this information about stabilizing whipped cream:

Stabilizing Whipped Cream
Adding gelatin when making whipped cream will help to stabilize it and then the whipped cream can be kept in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Gelatin gives whipping cream a firm, mousse like texture giving it many uses. Because gelatin stabilizes the whipped cream, it does not weep (bleed water after a while).

I do not know of a product that will keep your whipped cream from "breaking down" for 2 to 3 days except a product called "Whip It" made by Oetker which is a starch product. It binds the liquid parts of the whipped cream together. Whit-It enables whipped cream to remain stiff for several hours, but not much longer than that. If you'd like to know where to purchase Oetker Whip It (on the Internet), just email me back and let me know.

Diana's Desserts Email Address:
diana@dianasdesserts.com

Here is a recipe for Stabilized Whipped Cream (courtesy of Baking911)

Stabilized Whipped Cream Recipe

Variation: Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing
f your whipping cream is high in butterfat (40 %), then you do not need to stabilize it---but, it's hard to find. Gelatin gives it a firm, mouse-like texture, which I like, and it does not weep (bleed water after awhile). You can frost your cake a day ahead, but it must be refrigerated.

Ingredients:

GELATIN:
2 tablespoons cold water.
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

To Prepare Gelatin:
1. Soak plain gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes.
2. Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water. Let cool.

Whipped Cream:
2 cups (1 pint) chilled whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon dark rum or any flavored liqueur
1-2 tablespoons sugar (or, brown sugar. Best paired with cakes and desserts that have brown sugar in the ingredients)

Prepare Whipped Cream:

1. Using an electric mixer, beat cream in a large well-chilled bowl.
2. Just before it becomes soft and billowy, slowly add the sugar and flavorings to the whipped cream at the sides of the bowl. Continue to whip as you do.
3. Whip the cream until barely stiff
4. Add melted and cooled gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.
5. Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks. Finish beating with whisk to adjust consistency.
6. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

Tips:
1. For 1 cup of cream use 1/2 teaspoon gelatin soaked in 1 tablespoon cold water.
2. For 2 cups of cream use 1 teaspoon gelatin soaked in 2 tablespoons cold water.
3. For 6 cups of cream use 1 tablespoon soaked in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon cold water.

Source: Baking911
http://www.baking911.com/recipe_other_stabilized_whipped_cream.htm

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts