Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Sourdough Starter Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Sourdough Starter

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

snoboard 01-04-2010 @ 2:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Guess I don't get the whole 'Starter' thing!  The directions in Cusine® at home, reads to 'discard ALL but 1 Cup', after 24 hrs., but then you're supposed to ADD 1 cup of flour and 1 Cup of water every day.  Repeating this for 4 more days.  So you have a Cup of starter that you keep adding 1 Cup to, but you're discarding 1 Cup from too.

Chef Boy-Ar-Bakke

jacob123 01-16-2010 @ 1:33 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
great idea
jacob
The Lemonade Diet

The Lemonade Diet

jacob

nikki 01-19-2010 @ 9:58 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Not sure what your question is.  Is this a true sour dough starter you are talking about or the "Friendship Bread" that has been going around?
If it is a true sour dough the starter needs to be "fed". As the yeasts eat the food available they need more "food". As far as I know the quantity that you remove can be used in a recipe. Or the quantity of starter can be given away. Some starters are hundreds of years old.
I have always made it a practice to not keep a food product that requires more care than a pet.

"Grandma Ikki"

snoboard 01-19-2010 @ 10:39 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
No, it's not the 'Friendship' bread that's been going
around,it's from the book 'Baking' by James Peterson.  
So it's a TRUE sourdough.  Used the 'friendship bread'
starter once, but passes through too many hands for my
comfort!  Plus I have to use raw sugar, mollases, or
honey in my starter for a diabetic family member.  So
since I don't know what's actually in there when it
comes from someone else, I  got out of the 'loop' for
the 'friendship bread'.  My question then was, 'if you
start with a(1) Cup of starter that you keep adding 1
Cup to, but you're discarding 1 Cup from too' then how
do you end up with more than a Cup of starter?  Guess
it grows?

Chef Boy-Ar-Bakke

This message was edited by snoboard on 3-31-10 @ 9:49 PM

nikki 01-20-2010 @ 2:23 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The recipe I have for a starter is:
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 ounces warm water
7 ounces room temperature water
1 lb all purpose flour
Combine yeast and warm water.   Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the room temperature water then add the flour, 2 ounces at a time.
Blend by hand or with the paddle attachment on low speed for 2 minutes.
Place the starter in a warmed bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Let stand at room temperature over night.   The starter should tripple in volume but be still wet and sticky.  Refrigerate until ready to use.
Each time a portion isof the starter is used, it must be replenished.  To replenish the starter stir in equal amounts by volume of flour and warm water.  Then allow the mixture to ferment at room temperature for several hours or overnight before refrigerating.

If liquid rises to the top of the starter it can be stirred back into the mixture.  If the starter developes a pink or a yellow film, it has been contaminated and should be discarded.

Sourdough Bread:
1/2 ounce active dry yeast
8 ounces warm water
1 Cup sourdough starter
1 lb bread flour
1 Tb kosher salt
cornmeal..as needed
1 egg white
Sprinkle the dry yeast over 2 ounces of warm water and set aside until foamy.
In the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook, combine the sourdough starter and the rest of the water.  Add 6 ounces of the bread flour.
Stir until a dough forms, then add the yeast mixture.  Knead for 5 minutes on medium speed.
Add the remaining flour and the salt.  Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise in a warm spot, until doubled.
Punch down the dough and shape it into a round loaf.  Place the loaf on a greased and cornmeal dusted sheet pan.
Let the dough rise in a warm place, covered with a damp cloth, until it has risen 2 1/2 times its origional size.
Brush the risen loaf with the egg white and score the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
Bake at 450 degrees F. (230C.), with a pan of boiling water underneath the oven rack, for 10 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375 F. (190C), remove the water and continue baking until the loaf is browned, about 35 to 45 minutes.

Note there is no sugar at all in either of these recipes. The starter does "grow".  I have seen some recipes that instruct you to remove a cup a week and add the water and flour to the "mother starter" this recipe does not say that must be done, so I guess you could just add to it and not remove any but you best have a large enough container.
And I know what you mean by the number of hands some of the friendship starters pass through it makes me nervous.  

"Grandma Ikki"

krogerbest 06-08-2021 @ 8:09 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts