Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Cold Butter or Very Soft Butter Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cold Butter or Very Soft Butter

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

huayyu 12-16-2009 @ 8:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi! I just want to ask about using butter in cookies.  I just made a batch of cookies as a holiday gift for my friends and they turned out great but yesterday when I made them again they tasted cakey and the shape is a domed shaped cookie, it didn't spread out like the first one.  I used a cold butter for the first one straight out from the fridge and the second one is the butter is very soft that if you place your finger in the butter it will break.  Does it affect the cookies??? P.S. It is a drop cookie...

nikki 12-23-2009 @ 5:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Baking cookies with cold butter allows the cookie to "set" before the butter begins to melt.  So the cookie stays a little "fuller" looking by not spreading out as much.  This is why the cookies spread a bit more the more you bake, the kitchen is warmer, cookie sheets are warmer.  You can even see the cookie dough begin to spread when you place the cookie sough on a warm cookie sheet.
This is one of the reasons that cookies made with margarine do not spread as much.  Margarine has a higher melting temperature than butter.

"Grandma Ikki"

huayyu 12-24-2009 @ 8:20 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks so much for the advice.  I also didn't know that there is difference between butter and margarine.  Now I know.. thanks again

cfkessel 12-27-2009 @ 1:58 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I always use soft butter when combining ingredients, then put dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes  before forming on cookie sheets.

Zoe

snoboard 12-30-2009 @ 9:16 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
From http://www.well.com/user/vard/cookies.html
ALWAYS use real butter. Don't let anyone convince you that butter vs. margarine doesn't make any difference. It does.
Don't just let the butter sit out at room temp to become soft.  *Melted butter, because it is both warm and liquid, does a much better job of dissolving and melting the sugar than a room-temp creamed butter can do, improving the consistency of the dough as you are working with it, and also improving the texture of the cookies after they are baked.*

So many people write to me to ask about problems they run into making Toll House© cookies, and the #1 problem I hear about is: "My cookies come out flat! What can I do?" This is such a common problem. Here is the first thing you should check:

-make sure your cookie dough is cold when you put it on the cookie sheet. If you have to chill it in between batches, that's what you should do.

***So what I do is to add melted, cooled butter, then refrigerate the dough.  I just put in the fridge overnight.  I know it shouldn't take that long to chill it adequately but it's just how I do it.

This message was edited by snoboard on 12-30-09 @ 9:55 PM

krogerbest 06-08-2021 @ 8:10 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts