Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / SUBSTITUTION FOR CREAM Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: SUBSTITUTION FOR CREAM -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

pamchia 09-11-2007 @ 8:28 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi diana

When a recipe calls for cream, can it be substituted with either full cream/skimmed/fresh milk.

pamchia

aussieIngrid 09-13-2007 @ 1:10 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
When I am trying to bake low fat - I find the best substitutes are : when the recipe asks for whipped cream, I use ricotta cheese or any other low fat cream cheese. When it asks for cream without any whipping, I use carnation milk. Hope this helps.

Warmly,
Ingrid

aussieIngrid 09-13-2007 @ 1:13 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Smile  I just realized I misunderstood your question. I was in my own little world. I have used milk and low fat milk and so forth instead of cream, but I adjust the amount so that it is not too 'liquidy'...I find that I use half the amount stated....

Warmly,
Ingrid

pamchia 09-16-2007 @ 11:36 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Ingrid

Thanks for your comment. Last round I substituted cream with milk but didnt reduce amount so batter was rather runny. Now I know what to do.

Rgds, pam

pamchia

Roselady 10-10-2007 @ 10:15 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Life is too short to forego cream.  My feeling is: enjoy it - make a rich dessert! - but don't do it everyday.  Americans are much too ambivalent about food, generally overindulging but pretending (despite the evidence provided by their bathroom scales and mirrors)that "low fat" or "diet" foods are somehow healthier or facilitate thinness.  The trick is in good nutritional balance, fresh wholesome foods, and moderate eating.

Banish food-guilt!  Eat your cream!

Suzanne

aussieIngrid 10-10-2007 @ 1:58 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Suzanne.

I agree with your comments re banishing food guilt. I think balance is the key to life in general. For me food has to taste good, has to smell good and my waist line is healthy. There is nothing, absolutely nothing better than having friends over and serving them my home cooked cakes or breads or biscuits or this or that with coffee or wine. I, however, started experimenting with substitutes mainly for family and friends; those with diabetic, cholosteral or heart problems and I guess I am at the point of my cooking journey where I look at a recipe as a guide, a reference rather than 'the absolute truth'. I guess cooking is also about becoming confident with yourself.

Warmly,
Ingrid

Roselady 10-11-2007 @ 10:56 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Ingrid -

I agree with you - cooking is a very personal expression; I've never followed recipes exactly, but use them as a guide, or source of ideas.  It's too bad that so many people have health concerns these days, that limit their enjoymnent of whole foods.  One healthy but hypochondriacal elderly male friend (who eats vast quantities of broccoli, because he heard it wards off cancer) recently worried about the sourdough pancakes I fed him - because they contained whole milk and eggs!  

Eat moderately, and enjoy every bite!

aussieIngrid 10-11-2007 @ 10:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Roselady,

I dont mean to make this into a discussion, but your comments made me laugh. I have many similar idiocratic stories that have amused me also. I would run out of space if I started Smile  I guess we all seek for hope, happiness and health...good thing there is always food to lean on also  Smile

Warmly,
Ingrid

krogerbest 06-08-2021 @ 8:59 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 02-05-2022 @ 3:34 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts