Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Freezing Mascarpone cheese frosting Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Freezing Mascarpone cheese frosting

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

hepeskin 09-30-2006 @ 4:51 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am making a cake to be topped by Mascarpone cheese frosting.  Will I be able to freeze the frosting I don't use?  It is expensive and I don't want to waste it. Thanks. Heather

Heather

diana 10-04-2006 @ 7:41 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Heather,

This is Diana from Diana's Desserts website. Hope this answers your question about freezing the mascarpone cheese frosting:

Mascarpone is a fairly delicate emulsion of butterfat along with a number of water-soluble milk proteins and sugars. Such soft cheeses often change texture when frozen -- because the water forms crystals that tend to push the fat molecules apart, breaking the emulsion. Generally, hard cheeses (which are low in water content) are better candidates for freezing.

However, I'm told that vigorous whisking, while the cheese is thawed but still cold, will make it creamy again (but I confess I haven't tried it). If you do freeze it, make sure that it's covered tightly with plastic wrap, leaving no parts exposed to air -- and don't leave it frozen for too long. Freezer burn, an unpleasant form of dehydration, will form a crust that will never be reincorporated, no matter how long you whisk.

I hope that helps!

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts