Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Sago pandan Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Sago pandan

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

sadina 02-22-2005 @ 3:51 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Dear all,
Can you give me information regarding sago pandan... I got it from my friend from Malaysia. Actually I wanted to make Kuih dadar and I asked her to send me ingridients that I cannot find in my country... for example... pandan leave...
so my friend sent me this sago pandan... in form of pearls...
Can I use this to make kuih dadar and can you guys send me some simple recipe for that... also I cannot find here cocnut milk... is this necessary for this type of kuih...

please send me some info...
Smile

Sadina

Rahidah 02-22-2005 @ 12:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi , I'm a Malay Singaporean living in Toronto.I love cooking, baking  & trying any new recipes.Being far from my homeland , I always have the desire to make our local Malay food, sweet & savory.Fortunately, I can get the ingredients easily as there are many Asian & Chinese supermarkets in Toronto.
Sadina,
If the sago pandan you meant is also the sago santan gula melaka , then here's the recipe.Gula Melaka is palm sugar, santan is coconut milk.
You can substitute gula melaka with dark brown sugar, coconut milk with evaporated milk...ofcourse the flavour will be slightly affected.

Ingredients:
250gm sago pearl
800ml water
125gm gula melaka
200ml thick coconut milk.
screw pine leaves
green colouring ( optional)

Method:
1.Wash sago. Soak in a little water for 3 to 5 minutes.
2.In saucepan, bring water to boil, add sago and let cook, stirring from time to time. When cooked, place the saucepan of sago under running water.
3.When sago pearls are just slightly warm, drain off water and transfer to a large bowl and stir in green food coloring if desired.
4.Pour mixture into moulds and chill till firm.
5.melt palm sugar in sufficient water to make a light syrup with pandan leaves.
6.Unmould sago to serving dish. serve with coconut milk and palm sugar syrup.

Kuih Dadar is a very thin pancake , rolled & folded with grated coconut cooked with palm sugar.

Recipe for Kuih Dadar
Ingredientsf for thin batter/pancake:
100gm plain flour
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
a pinch of salt
green colouring

Ingredients for filling:
1 cup grated white coconut ( you can use dessicated coconut if you can't get the fresh or frozen one)
125gm gula melaka ( palm sugar), 2 tbs sugar and 3/4 cup water, boil together & strain.
1 pandan leaf (screw pine leaf)

Method for filling:
1. place the coconut , pandan leaf and gula melaka syrup in a sauce pan.
2. Cook until quite dry.Leave aside to cool.

Method for thin batter/pancake:
1.Sift the flour & salt together.Make a well in the centre of the flour.
2.Add the beaten egg & gradually stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
3. add the water gradually and beat well until all the flour is taken up.
4.Then add the remaining water & colouring. Stir well, leave aside for 15 mins.
5.To make the pancake, heat a 15 cm non-stick frying pan.
6.Pour one scoop of batter and swirl it quickly to distribute batter evenly. Make it as thin as possible. Cook on medium heat.
7.Lift when set. Put 2 tbsp filling on top of pancake, roll and fold in the sides.

:)

Regards,
Rahidah

sadina 02-23-2005 @ 1:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Dear Rahidah,
thanx for your reply. I also had opportunity to live in Malaysia for several years... that's why I got used to everything there, especially food. Sometimes I miss it so much. And unfortunately, I cannot get in my country many of necessary ingridients for cooking malay food.

Regarding this sago pandan.... i am not sure is it sago santan gula melaka, but I suppose it's not becuase it is only written sago pandan... and this is like pearl of green colour. My opinion is that this is like sago pearl but flavoured with pandan.

Anyway yesterday I tried to make kuih dadar...:) I boiled sago pandan pearls for a long time until it melted, and then I mixed flour, egg, milk and this green liquid I got from sago pearls... I blended it and made pancake... it was not that nice... but the taste was totaly pandan... and it was not green as I expected it to be... Actually how we get that green colur of cakes. Is it possible only with blended fresh pandan leaves or with colouring. And filling I made was also not that good... I mixed some brown sugar with water and make a syrup and than I added deciccated cocnut and very little milk (normal milk), it was ok but the mass was sticky... maybe I put too much sugar... I don't know. But anyway my family and me ate them all and very quickly... because IT WAS like malay kuih dadar Smile ... but just not that professional...
anyway... I will try to do it again..
thany for the recipes... I will try them somehow.
Regards,

Sadina

Rahidah 02-23-2005 @ 10:56 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Sadina,
you can still blend the pandan leaves to get the green colouring & the flavour at the same time.The colour you'll get will be very light or pastel green.For recipes that require pandan flavour & green colouring, I normally do not use any food colouring...i just blend the pandan leaves , strained & use the juice.
You can do the same for the sago pandan .For kuih dadar, you'll get a little taste of pandan then, but it's still, ok.

:)
Rahidah

This message was edited by Rahidah on 2-23-05 @ 10:57 AM

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts