Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Soy milk Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Soy milk

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Joanne 12-27-2003 @ 9:02 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I understand that to substitute buttermilk, I can leave 1 cup of low fat dairy milk and 1 tbsp of vinegar to stand for 5 mins. Can I use soy milk for this instead?
Can I also substitute dairy milk in all baking recipes for soy milk?

diana 12-27-2003 @ 11:28 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Joanne,

Yes, soy milk may be used to make a buttermilk substitute.

Here is a recipe using soy milk for making a buttermilk substitute:

1 1/3 cups soy milk
4 teaspoons white vinegar

To make the soy buttermilk, place 4 teaspoons of white vinegar into a measuring cup; add the soy milk to make 1-1/3 cups.

I am checking into whether you can substitute dairy milk in all baking recipes for soy milk. I will post the answer on the Discussion Forum when I find out.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

diana 12-27-2003 @ 12:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi again Joanne,

Here's some information on substituting other liquids for milk in Baking:

Milk Substitutions     
Milk is one of the easiest ingredients to substitute in baking. Non-dairy milks and water are suitable replacements with only subtle effects on taste and texture. Some ingredients may affect the coloration of the finished product. Soy will often cause a darker color or browning effect. Another consideration is that not all liquid replacements are as thick as milk; therefore, the amount used may need to be reduced from the amount called for in the recipe.

Soy Milk: 1 cup soy milk = 1 cup cow’s milk

Rice Milk: 1 cup rice milk = 1 cup cow’s milk

Depending on the brand, rice milk can be thinner than cow’s milk and you may need to reduce the amount used in the recipe. For baking, you can add 2 or 3 extra tablespoons of cooking oil to help offset a watery consistency.

Nut Milk: 1 cup nut milk = 1 cup cow’s milk

Nut milks, such as almond, are best served in dessert recipes.

Juice: Fruit juice can be used as a replacement, but can impart sweetness. Juice is also acidic and is best served in recipes that include baking soda. The amount used will depend on the thickness of the juice.

Water: Approximately 3/4 cup water = 1 cup cow’s milk

Water is commonly substituted for milk in recipes. Add water last to the recipe, stirring in small amounts until the proper consistency is achieved.

Note: Milk substitutes may still have dairy ingredients in the product. Many brands claim to be dairy-free, but in truth they only eliminate lactose. Dairy protein (casein) is commonly included in both soy and rice milks. Also, many brands of rice milk are not gluten-free, such as Imagine Foods Rice Dream, because of their manufacturing process. Always confirm the status of rice or soy milks if you are on a gluten-free diet and/or dairy-free diet.

Other dairy substitutes, such as non-dairy cheese, will often use dairy or soy protein in their ingredients. Always check the ingredients and/or with the manufacturer to make sure that the product is completely dairy-free. There are currently no known cheese substitutes that do not contain either dairy or soy protein ingredients.

Joannne, I hope this information helps you out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Joanne 12-28-2003 @ 1:22 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks alot. Your information really helped!

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts