Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Cocoa Powder Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cocoa Powder -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

RedZinner 04-20-2008 @ 10:56 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
What do you consider the best brand of baking cocoa powder for a deep chocolate flavor? I always have used Hershey's but was wondering if there are any others out there.

nikki 04-22-2008 @ 3:41 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hershey's has a "special Dark" cocoa.  It gives a pretty deep chocolate flavor.

"Grandma Ikki"

phebe 11-04-2008 @ 2:18 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
i find cadbury to be an erxcellent grade of cocoa powder. we never walk past it in the supermarket. i live in new zealand so we have access to it. im not sure if you do over in the states

nikki 11-04-2008 @ 5:17 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I don't think I have ever seen the Cadbury cocoa powder.  I will have to look to see if it is available here. Love the chocolate bar though (particularly like the one that has raisins and nuts. As well as any thing dark chocolate.  (The "eggs" they have at Easter are a bit sweet for me though)

"Grandma Ikki"

phebe 11-06-2008 @ 2:02 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
i find, here in new zealand, that the cadbury bakers chocolate is in a purple box that and orange label. it is great quality as it is dark so you  dont use too much of it, and it comes in a box of 500g so it normally takes us about 3 weeks to finish it, and we bake alot!
thanks,

phebe

nikki 11-06-2008 @ 4:54 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Another reason for me to visit New Zealand..  I can shop anywhere. (Shopping of any kind.)  I love to go to new grocery stores to see what is new and different.

"Grandma Ikki"

Daisygirl 11-19-2008 @ 9:00 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I use Cocoa Powder from Penzey's Spices.  You can either buy it from one of their stores or from their online site.  Here is the description from the two different types of cocoa powder they offer.

Cocoa
Two types of the highest quality cocoa that are almost twice as rich as the grocery store varieties: Natural cocoa is strong, dark and bittersweet-perfect for all baking; Dutch cocoa is processed to temper the natural acidity of the cocoa bean, yielding a smooth, rich and slightly less strong cocoa that mixes more freely with liquid. Dutch cocoa has long been the cocoa of choice for hot chocolate and flavored coffee. Cocoa can easily replace unsweetened baking chocolate. The standard conversion is to use 3 TB. cocoa + 1 TB. vegetable oil to equal one square of baking chocolate, but this cocoa is so rich it can be used without the extra oil.  

You might want ot order a catalog to get on their mailing list.  The cataloge is published about 6 times a year.  Whatever spice you are looking for they will more than likely have it.  They also include yummy recipies each month.  Send for it I promise you will not be disapointed.

BTW Diana what a awesome site. I stumbled accros it today while on the Holiday Magic web site.  I will be back here often. You are now in my favorites.  

Smile

nikki 11-19-2008 @ 12:37 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I do like Penzey's products.  The recipes they have in the catalog are great.  I have been making the "Harvest Peach Cake" for a while.  I love it.  A great way to use the peaches that are not quite jucy enough to eat out of hand.  Baking seems to bring out the flavor that is missing from the supermarket peaches.  I sure miss the "good old days" when you bit into a peach and the juice just ran all over and the peach fuzz would sort of itch your face, not quite as bad as fiberglass but you know you were eating peaches.
Geting back to cocoa I will have to get some.  They have  a store not all that far from me.

"Grandma Ikki"

NepaBill 03-08-2009 @ 3:46 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi..  I'm New to this forum.  I have been a big fan of this site.  Below are a couple of links which may help you locate some high end cocoa powders..

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/index.html?gclid=CJfj1JCzlJkCFQsMGgod-lgeYw

http://www.cocoasupply.com/index.php?cPath=22

http://www.chocosphere.com/cgi-bin/webstore/web_store.cgi

IngaBakes 03-16-2009 @ 1:14 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I prefer Dutch cocoa in all baking and frostings, it's stronger in flavour, richer in coclour, better than Cadbury I feel.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts