Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Sour Cream substitute Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Sour Cream substitute -- page: 1 2 3 4 5

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

cupcakegirl 04-18-2007 @ 11:16 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I make a yellow cake w/ sour cream instead of milk.  However, could yogurt be a substitute to sour cream?  I notice some recipes call for milk versus sour cream--what difference does it make and can you use either interchangeably?  (I'm new to baking!)

Thanks!

snoboard 04-18-2007 @ 1:06 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Yes, you can subsitute yogurt for sour cream, just make sure its <plain> not vanilla yogurt.  I do this all the time, and both ways!

cupcakegirl 04-18-2007 @ 1:21 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Great, thank you!  Should I just use plain yogurt?  (And why not vanilla yogurt?)

snoboard 04-18-2007 @ 1:24 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I guess I didn't specify which yogurt to use.  Make sure it's PLAIN.(NOT vanilla)  I do this when I'm looking for some Lactose Free sour cream and I don't have any.

snoboard 04-18-2007 @ 1:28 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Then you have to worry about flavor imbalances.  I.E.  Too much vanilla flavor.  

snoboard 04-18-2007 @ 1:31 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I guess having too much vanilla is not all that  bad,especially anything to do with chocolate.

This message was edited by snoboard on 4-18-07 @ 1:33 PM

diana 04-18-2007 @ 5:22 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi snoboard,
Isn't yogurt a lactose product or do you use lactose-free yogurt? Why substitute one lactose product for another?

And yes cupcakegirl, yogurt may be substituted for milk in some cake recipes, and it may be plain yogurt or vanilla flavored yogurt if you like more of a vanilla flavor in your cake.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

snoboard 04-18-2007 @ 9:21 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Yes, it's lactose-free yogurt.  It's all lactose-free ingredients that I'm substituting, one for the other.
But it still doesn't make a difference, that I've noticed.

snoboard 04-18-2007 @ 9:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
But back to the origional question, 'could yogurt be a substitute to sour cream?'  I say yes, plain yogurt.

cupcakegirl 04-18-2007 @ 10:32 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thank you to both Diana and Snoboard for your help!

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts