Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Cocoa, substituting flours Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cocoa, substituting flours -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Sirena 11-14-2006 @ 12:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Is there any difference between "cocoa" and "unsweetened cocoa"?
I can´t find here neither self raising flour nor cake flour. How can I substitute them?

diana 11-15-2006 @ 8:42 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Sirena,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum and Website.

There are two types of cocoa:

Sweetened:
Sweetened cocoa contains sugar or other sweetener added to it.

Unsweetened:
Unsweetened cocoa has no sugar or other sweeteners added to it.

In most baking recipes, even though sometimes the recipe doesn't specify the type of cocoa in the ingredients list, unsweetened cocoa is used. You can look at the ingredient list of a particular recipe and see if there is sugar (or other sweetener) in it, if there is, then you know pretty much for sure that unsweetened cocoa should be used.

Flour Substitutions:

For 1 cup Cake Flour:
Substitute with 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour (all-purpose flour is called plain flour in some places) minus 2 tablespoons, and then add in 2 tablespoons cornstarch. If you can, use bleached all-purpose flour, not unbleached.

For 1 cup Self-Rising (spelled self-raising in some countries) Flour:
Substitute with 1 cup cake flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  

For 1 cup Self-Rising (self-raising) All-Purpose Flour (plain flour):
Substitute with 1 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour), plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Hope this information helps you out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Sirena 11-15-2006 @ 9:05 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, Diana. Thanks for your help. I have another cuestion about cocoa. If the recipe says "sweetened coca", which kind is the best? Some of them have too much sugar or vanilla (to my taste)and/or too little coca. It can make a world of difference in a cake.

diana 11-15-2006 @ 10:12 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Sirena,

I don't see too many recipes calling for "sweetened cocoa", but if it's called for in a particular recipe, I'd recommend Ghirardelli, Scharffen Berger, or even Hershey's. These are the best ones you'll find in the supermarket. You really have to experiment with different brands as everyone has different tastes when it comes to cocoa and other ingredients used in baking. My first choice for a "sweetened cocoa" would be Scharffen Berger. They make both sweetened and unsweetend cocoas. For unsweetened cocoas, I would recommend Valrhona cocoa powder or Scharffen Berger or Droste Dutch Process for dutch process cocoa.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

edwardmorgan 08-26-2021 @ 2:03 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 02-05-2022 @ 3:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-05-2022 @ 4:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

bamo2 02-12-2022 @ 10:10 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-14-2022 @ 8:16 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-18-2022 @ 12:12 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts