Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / The Best Ingredients / Substitute for vegetable shortening Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Substitute for vegetable shortening -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

aussieIngrid 11-28-2007 @ 5:23 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Erica,

Just looking at your recipe, to me it looks like you are missing baking powder. A lot of *old* recipes from Europe used butter or a vegetable based oil or a mixture of both (ie, melt half the butter and add oil into the mixture and let the entire mixture cool before using it)...a lot of old recipes were vague in instruction because most women simply jotted down the ingredients and remembered the rest....ingredients were just a guide and were often adapted to circumstances - for instance during the Great Wars many ingredients were just not available...My Grandmother ended up writing in some of her passed down recipes 'fat, flour, water or milk, or dilluted cream, sugar or mixture of sugar and strawberry jam" for this strawberry cake recipe that I have at home...its both heartwarming and so loveable to just see women back in time nurturing no matter what the circumstances...

Warmly,
Ingrid

Gitte 11-29-2007 @ 1:13 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Erica,
what I have learned is that butter in America is not as high in fat as it is in Germany...here butter has 82% fat...that fact alone makes a difference in some recipes...there is also a difference in butter made of sweet creme (Suessrahmbutter) or sour creme (Sauerrahmbutter=more watery not so good for cooking and baking)
Referring to the fact that your recipe is old my guess would be that one once used lard (considering the time it must have been pork lard)
Have fun experimenting.  Gitte Smile

Gitte

Erica 11-30-2007 @ 3:25 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks for the tips!

Your advice gave me an idea; Between the suggestion to melt the butter and "doctor it up", and the information that German butter has a higher fat content, I thought to try melting the butter until it separates, and then using just the clarified oil.

So I made the dough, and now its curing.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  Smile

edwardmorgan 08-26-2021 @ 2:34 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

nikel 10-24-2021 @ 2:28 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 01-03-2022 @ 4:59 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 01-03-2022 @ 5:31 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 01-10-2022 @ 3:09 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 01-10-2022 @ 3:13 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-05-2022 @ 3:47 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts