Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / whoopie pies Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: whoopie pies

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

aussieIngrid 01-27-2008 @ 10:13 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I want to make the latest recipe of the week, whoopie pies, but living in Australia some of the U.S terminology differs to the Aussie terminology. Can someone confirm that marshmallow cream/fluffs are the same as what Aussies simply call marshmallows?

Thanks again

Warmly,
Ingrid

diana 01-28-2008 @ 9:18 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Ingrid,

Marshmallow Cream or Marshmallow Fluff is a jarred marshmallow cream. It is used in desserts that call for marshmallow cream, not whole marshmallows.

Here in the United States, we call marshmallows the same as you do in Australia. If a recipes calls for Marshmallows, then use whole marshmallows, not the cream. If a recipe calls for Marshmallow Cream, then it's the type in a jar that can be spooned out. Marshmallow Fluff is just a brand name for a particular marshmallow cream in a jar.

Take care and please let us know if you made the Whoopie Pies.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

aussieIngrid 01-28-2008 @ 3:54 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
We dont have marshmallow cream - although some speciality stores may sell it but it will be at absolutely inflated prices. I was wondering if there is a recipe for marshmallow cream?

Thanks in advance.

Warmly,
Ingrid

diana 01-29-2008 @ 9:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Ingrid,

Here is a recipe for Homemade Marshmallow Cream:

Homemade Marshmallow Cream

Makes about 5 cups

Ingredients:
3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (if you can get the imitation clear vanilla extract or flavoring, that would work best)

Instructions:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until light and frothy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup, and sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until boiling. Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches the firm-ball stage, about 242 degrees F to 248 degrees F on a candy thermometer, about 6 minutes. Immediately remove from heat.

With the mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg white mixture. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 5 minutes. Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, about 1 minute more. Use immediately or spoon marshmallow cream into a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. When ready to use, remove from refrigerator, stir cream well and use in recipe that calls for marshmallow cream or marshmallow fluff.

Makes 5 cups.

Here's a very easy recipe. I haven't tried it but it's worth giving it a try:

MAKE YOUR OWN MARSHMALLOW CREME OR FLUFF

Gently heat 1 (16-ounce) package marshmallows plus 3 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup. Gently melt in a double boiler, stirring constantly.

NOTE:
Ten large marshmallows = 1 cup miniature marshmallows; 4 large marshmallows = 1 ounce; 1/2 cup mini marshmallows = 1 ounce.

Good luck and please let us know if you made either of the homemade marshmallow cream recipes, and how it turned out. Also, how the Whoopie Pies turned out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

aussieIngrid 02-01-2008 @ 2:13 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks Diana for the marshmallow cream recipes. This site is so helpful and so reliable, I truely appreciate the effort that you put into it and its maintenance. Thanks again Diana and yes, I will keep you posted how my whoopie pies turn out  Smile

Warmly,
Ingrid

nvdenosta 02-11-2008 @ 7:35 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thank you.  I've always wanted to know the same thing.  We don't have marshmallow cream in our country.  I will try the recipes posted here.  Again, thanks.  Smile

krogerbest 06-08-2021 @ 9:48 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts