Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / Another Chocolate Frosting ???? Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Another Chocolate Frosting ????

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

yonguetrio 11-07-2006 @ 7:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about chocolate icing/frosting?  I usually make my white icing by using the Wilton recipe for Buttercream.  I am looking for a good recipe for chocolate icing.  I mean really dark brown chocolaty icing, not the light brown "cocoa added" icing.  Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Yonguetrio

diana 11-08-2006 @ 9:54 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi yonguetrio,

Here are three very good recipes for Dark Chocolate Frosting.

Dark Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2 oz./56g) butter, at room temperature
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Add butter and stir until blended. Pour into a mixing bowl. Beat in confectioners' sugar and salt alternately with a few drops of coffee at a time, until frosting reaches the proper consistency. Beat in vanilla.

Makes enough to frost a 9-inch double layer cake.

Fudge Frosting

Ingredients:
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 cups confectioner's sugar
4 to 5 or more tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder dissolved in one tablespoon warm water or milk

Instructions:
Melt chocolate. Mix ingredients in a medium-sized bowl with a mixer. Correct by adding more confectioner's sugar (1 tablespoon at a time) if too runny, or milk (1 teaspoon at a time) if too stiff.

Makes enough to frost a 9-inch double layer cake.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE BUTTERCREAM GANACHE

Generously frosts 2, 8- or 9 x 2-inch layers or one, 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan or about 32 to 36 cupcakes, with enough left over to pipe a top and bottom border. This buttercream is very rich. Have your cake and everything ready, BEFORE you begin to beat the ganache and butter mixture.

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup corn syrup, light
1 cup (2 sticks/8 oz./226g) unsalted butter
2 bags (12 oz. each) Nestle's or Ghirardeli's semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions:
1. Heat cream, corn syrup and 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter on the stove until it JUST BARELY comes to a boil. Place chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl. Pour over chocolate chips. Let stand 1 minute and stir until smooth. Let mixture cool slightly (but not harden) for a few minutes. The ganache should cool to tepid, about 100 degrees F (body temperature).

2. In a mixer bowl, beat together 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter and confectioner's sugar until light and smooth. Add in the cooled ganache and vanilla extract and beat until smooth and light.

NOTE: Frost the cake while the buttercream is at room temperature. If refrigerated, let sit to room temperature before using.

If the buttercream gets too stiff to work with, even at room temperature, beat on low with a mixer. Note that overbeating the mixture can cause it to become gritty. If necessary, beat in a small amount (1 or 2 tablespoons) of heavy cream to soften slightly. However, the more cream you add, though, the softer the end buttercream will be. Stiffen with more powdered sugar.

Let us know if you tried any of these and how it turned out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

yonguetrio 11-08-2006 @ 11:38 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks so much, Diana.  All of the recipes sound wonderful (especially the Ganache).  I will let you know when I try them.
Thanks again.
Yonguetrio

This message was edited by yonguetrio on 11-8-06 @ 11:39 AM

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts