Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / steamed chinese buns recipe Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: steamed chinese buns recipe -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

mak 12-10-2004 @ 5:22 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi,

Does anyone have a recipe for the white steamed buns recipe which is used to make those white fluffy roast pork buns served in chinese restaurants. Alot of recipes I have found don't work and makes ones which look yellow rather than white.

thanks

Mak

diana 12-10-2004 @ 9:33 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Mak,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum and to Diana's Desserts Website.

Here is a recipe for Steamed Pork Buns (Char Siu Bao):

Steamed Pork Buns
(Char Siu Bao)

Bao/Buns
Baked or steamed, these fluffy buns are filled with different meats and vegetables. The most popular type is char siu bao, a bun with barbeque-flavored pork meat and onions inside. It can be either steamed to be fluffy and white or baked with a light sugar glaze to produce a smooth golden-brown crust. This recipe is for steamed char siu bao, the white fluffy buns.

Makes 16 buns

For Dough:
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup self-rising flour
3 teaspoons butter, melted

For Filling:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
3 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
8 oz Chinese barbecue pork, finely chopped
6 scallions, finely chopped

FOR DOUGH:
In a small bowl combine yeast with 2 tablespoons warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour. Mix until well combined. Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand in a warm place until frothy, about 15 minutes.

Sift remaining all-purpose and self-rising flour into a large bowl. Add remaining sugar, yeast mixture, remaining warm water, and melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 3-5 minutes. Place dough in a large oiled bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

FOR FILLING:
Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over medium heat and fry ginger and garlic until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cornstarch and water mixture, bring to a boil and stir until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pork and scallions. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.

Punch down dough. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide dough into 16 pieces and roll or press out each piece to form a 21/4-inch (6-cm) circle. Cover dough with a damp kitchen towel. Working with one round of dough at a time, spoon 2 teaspoons of filling into the center. Gather edges together, twist to seal and cover with a kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining dough.

Cut out 16 squares of parchment (baking paper) and place buns, sealed side down, on paper. Half fill a medium wok with water (steamer should not touch water) and bring to a boil. Working in batches, arrange buns in steamer, cover and place steamer over boiling water. Steam for 15 minutes, adding more boiling water to wok when necessary. Lift steamer off wok and carefully remove buns. Using scissors, snip the top of each bun twice, to resemble a star. Serve warm with soy sauce and hoisin sauce.

Makes 16 buns.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

agiantpackaging 12-13-2004 @ 2:34 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
i think you can find the pre package though at the Asian markets. It's very easy...i think all you have to add is milk, water and oil. It comes with an instruction as well...

that's how we have been making them, and they turn out pretty good.

good luck!
AGIANT Packaging
www.agiantpackaging.com

AGIANT Packaging- manufacturer and distributor of disposable aluminum foil products
www.agiantpackaging.com

Kenny_Leong 03-06-2005 @ 9:19 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I agree about the comment that there are packaged flour from the asian shops that are specifically for making very white coloured steamed buns. I tried a vietnamese packet, which said 'steamed bun flour' or something like that, and the bun that resulted from this flour was like pure white.

But I still don't know what they do to the flour to give us that pure white colour. I'm extremely interested to know how it's done, because I've tried all kinds of flour from the supermarket...including the bleached flours, and none of them give the pure white colour. Instead, they can be yellow, or have noticeable tinge of yellow....ie not pure white. I've even tried suggestions from various sources about adding some vinegar to the dough before steaming. That did nothing but make my buns vinegary in taste. I also tried adding vinegar to the water used for the steaming process. That didn't work either.

I'd be interested to find out what the secret is behind the whiteness of the best steamed buns. An interesting thing is that this whiteness subject seems to be rarely discussed.  

This message was edited by Kenny_Leong on 3-6-05 @ 9:22 PM

Sharon 03-29-2005 @ 8:41 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi there, have you tried Hong Kong flour, i've read somewhere that this is the stuff that makes the pao white, though i haven't tried it personally.  Not sure which country you are residing in though and whether you can get hold of Hong kong flour.  If you do, let me know if you are successful.  Good luck!

Sneo

mimi124 03-30-2005 @ 7:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
SHARON,
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE PAO WHITE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS JUST ADD 1 TABLESPOON OF LIME JUCIES INTO WATER .

Ivymeil 09-05-2021 @ 8:03 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 02-14-2022 @ 6:29 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 03-05-2022 @ 10:05 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 03-05-2022 @ 11:20 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts