Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / COTTON SOFT JAPANESE CHEESE CAKE Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: COTTON SOFT JAPANESE CHEESE CAKE -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

Kris 11-16-2004 @ 11:13 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,

Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I tried it for the first time last night and it turned out beautifully, so soft and light just like you said. I followed the suggestion to beat egg whites till just soft and use room temperature instead of hot for the water bath. To top it off, I spread glaze of apricot on it. This cake is definately on top of my list! Wink

Japanese Cheesecake Pic

Cheers,
Kris

Mei 09-06-2004 @ 7:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,
Yesterday i baked this cake again n it turned out well. No more hard yellowish texture at the middle. I mixed it more evenly this time but the texture was not as soft as the previous one. Like u said, may be i should whisk the egg whites till soft n not stiff. Thanks for ur advice. By the way, do u have a baked blueberry cheesecake recipe to share? I would love to try. Hope to get ur feedback soon. Best Regards!

Mei

Irene 09-06-2004 @ 2:02 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Tina,
Thanks for trying the Marble Baked Cheesecake. I am glad it always turn out well. You should try this Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake. It taste even better. If you do ever try it I hope you will let us know how it turn out. Thanks

Happy Baking,
     Irene

Irene 09-06-2004 @ 1:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Mei,
  I am sorry to hear that the cheesecake you baked didn't turn out well. I think the most important thing when baking this cake is the whisking of the egg whites. You must whisk until soft peaks are form and not until stiff. If the egg whites mixture is too stiff, it will not blend well with the cream cheese mixture. Do let us know the outcome if you try again. Thanks

Happy Baking,
     Irene

mgriffin 09-06-2004 @ 5:44 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi everyone

Although I have not tried this recipe of Irene's, I have more than a couple of times successfully baked another Cheese cake(Marbled cheesecake - Irene's recipe - but don't know if it is the same Irene).

In answer to Diana's question of whether you can use removeable bottom, yes, I use it and the cake turns out fine. The water does not get into the cheesecake.

Also, I only use parchment paper on the bottom of the cake tin and not the sides.

The other thing is that when I bake my cheesecake, I usually leave it in the oven for a few hours to cool off and the cake will then naturally shrink a little from the sides of the pan, thus not needing the paper at the sides!

And yes, I also put the cake into the fridge for it to firm up.

Kind regards
Tina

Mei 09-04-2004 @ 3:24 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Irene,
I have just tried out ur cake n it didn't turn out well. I got a hard yellowish uneven texture at the middle of the cake and some part of it was fine n soft just like in the picture. What could be the reason for this? May be i didn't mix well enough during the folding process? However the cake tasted nice. Please advice asap....thanks.

Mei

diana 07-23-2004 @ 10:05 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Irene,

Yes, cheesecake is always kept chilled after it has been baked and cooled completely. It is always served chilled right from the refrigerator. Also, keeping it in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight (after cooled at room temperature for an hour or so after being baked) lets the cheesecake set and firm up.

Thanks for the information on the pan lining, etc. too!

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Irene 07-23-2004 @ 9:00 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The recipe didn't ask to chill the cheesecake before serving so I did't chill it but I think you can if you wanted. But if I have leftover then only I will put it in the refrigerator.

I have one question to ask you. Is cheesecake usually chilled before serving? Thanks

Happy Baking'
       Irene

diana 07-23-2004 @ 7:30 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Irene,

Thanks for answering my questions about removing the cheesecake from the pan.

Should the cheesecake chill in the refrigerator before serving and for how long if so?

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Irene 07-22-2004 @ 11:37 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Diana,
  This cheesecake not only sound nice but it taste great too. As for your question. After baking let the cake rest for about 5 minutes before removing it and put it on a wire rack to cool.

I suppose you can used a springform if you have one but not many people own a springform pan. As for a removeable bottom cake pan I am afraid when you put in the steam bath water might seep in.

In the recipe you are asked to grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper. This will make it easier to remove the cake from the pan.  

Happy Baking,
     Irene

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts