Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Recipe Ideas / Dundee Cake Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dundee Cake

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Irene 12-13-2003 @ 7:24 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Since Christmas is just around the corner I would like to share this recipe with anyone who couldn't think of what to bake for the family this Christmas to give it a try . This is my family favourite cake and hope it will be yours too during this Christmas season

Wishing Each And Everyone
Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year

Irene

Dundee Cake

8 oz / 224 gm plain flour
1 level tsp baking powder
8 oz / 224 gm butter
4 oz / 112 gm castor sugar
4 large eggs ( take away 2 egg white)
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 lb / 500 gm mixed fruit (chopped)
Brandy / Rum
Whole almonds for decoration (optional)

Method:
1. Soak mixed fruits with 10 tbsp of brandy / Rum. Leave it overnight so as to have better flavour and softer texture.

2. Lined the bottom of 7 inch round or square cake tin with greaseproof paper and grease the side well with butter .

3. Sieve together the flour and baking powder.

4. Cream butter,sugar and honey until light and fluffy

5. Add eggs one by one beating thoroughly after each addition.

6. Lightly fold in 1/2 of the flour. Mix well before add in 1/2 of the mixed fruits.Stir well to mix then add in the last of the flour and mixed fruits.

7. Pour mixture into the prepare tin and decorate with almonds (if used). Bake at 165 C / 329 F for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

8. Cool cake on wire rack. When cake is completely cooled – after 4 to 5 hours pour 5 tbsp Brandy/Rum over the cake. Wrap it with foil ( or keep it air-tight tin) and keep it over night before serving.

Note: The longer you keep the fruit cake the better it will taste.

Tip: Owing to long baking time, a small bowl of water can be placed in the oven to provide water vapour during baking and to prevent the cake from becoming dry.

This message was edited by Irene on 12-13-03 @ 4:48 PM

diana 12-13-2003 @ 9:43 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Irene,

I have been thinking so much about what to make for our Christmas dessert this year. I have thought about traditional Christmas Pudding, Fruitcake, etc.

The Dundee Cake sounds very nice, maybe I will give it a try.

What kind of mixed fruit do you use? Can you let me know.

I have so many kinds of dried fruits, and I just wondered which ones tasted the best to you in this particular cake.

Thanks so much, and will be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Happy Holidays.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts
Email: diana@dianasdesserts.com

diana 12-13-2003 @ 10:20 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi again Irene,

I forgot to ask you before, do you ever make an icing for the Dundee Cake?

Thanks, Diana

Irene 12-13-2003 @ 5:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Diana,
  I am glad to know that you would like to try out the Dundee Cake this Christmas. The dried fruits that I used are currants, sultanas, mixed peel, red and green cherries. You have to chop up the dried fruits before used. Over here we buy ready mixed chopped up dried fruits. No never make an icing for this cake before. Mmmmmm.... might give it a try. What type of icing do you think goes well with this cake. Royal icing???? Would appreciate very much if you will let me know how you like this cake if you do bake it this Christmas

Happy Baking
     Irene

diana 12-14-2003 @ 11:46 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Irene,

If I make the Dundee Cake, I will definitely let you know how it turned out.

I am still a bit uncertain about what dessert I am going to make. I'd like to try your Dundee Cake, the problem is that my husband doesn't care for those types of cakes (and he's from England, go figure?), so I don't know.

I think a nice royal icing or marzipan icing would be good, don't you?

Take care and happy holdiays.

Sincerely, Diana

michelle 12-17-2003 @ 2:37 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Traditionally dundee cake is never iced but is always decorated with whole blanched almonds on top and a tarten ribbon tied around it

Irene 12-17-2003 @ 3:42 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks for the information. And may I know what type of dried fruits do you usually used for your tradition Dundee cake. And which one is better Brandy or Rum to soak the mixed fruits. And maybe you too can share your Dundee Cake recipe with us. I for one will be very happy if you can.This recipe was given to me more than 30 years ago.

Happy Holidays,
      Irene

michelle 01-08-2004 @ 1:56 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My recipie is actually the same as yours. The fruit I buy is ready mixed and its a combination of currants, sultanas, rasins, mixed peel and glace cherries. The only difference I make is the alcohol. Because it's a scottish cake the only permissable liquid to use is a good scotish whiskey.

lilycollins 05-04-2023 @ 8:14 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

andersonsms212 08-30-2023 @ 4:54 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts