Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Yeast Rising Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Yeast Rising

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

snoboard 01-01-2010 @ 10:39 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I'm letting a sourdough starter raise in an enamel coated 'crock' that has a 'lock down' lid on it.  Should/could I 'lock it down' while fermenting/raising, or will the 'gases' it creates be too much? I currently have it open with a plastic wrap covering the top.

This message was edited by snoboard on 1-1-10 @ 10:55 AM

pfcello 02-16-2010 @ 6:31 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
My sense is very strong that you SHOULD NOT! lock it down.  I think that will inhibit the development because the yeast need oxygen to reproduce properly, and you won't be able to tell when the dough needs to be punched down because it won't be free to rise until ready for that (unless your crock is very  big - but even then I don't think you should cover it tightly.  The covering you have now seems fine to me.

snoboard 02-17-2010 @ 8:44 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanx pfcello

Chef Boy-Ar-Bakke

edwardmorgan 10-18-2021 @ 5:51 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 10-18-2021 @ 6:18 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Ivymuku20 10-29-2021 @ 6:52 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 12-30-2021 @ 3:35 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts