Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Baking for 2 Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Baking for 2

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

taratrick 04-10-2008 @ 3:14 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi,

I'm new to baking and I was wondering if it's possible to take a recipe for a common cake, etc which is meant for 8-10 people usually and change the recipe measurements to make a cake for just 2-4 people.  

I don't know how to do this and I also wonder how it will affect the cooking temperature and time.  

Does anyone have tips or ideas for me?

Thanks for the help!

nikki 04-10-2008 @ 9:48 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Some are easier to scale down than others.  What you could do is make the entire recipe and freeze half.   It gets hard when you have a recipe that calls for 3 large eggs and you have to figure out how to do 1 1/2 eggs. There are "standards" for things like eggs so you could whisk and measure the eggs.  I am all for freezing.  Much easier and you always have a dish in reserve.

"Grandma Ikki"

taratrick 04-15-2008 @ 2:16 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I never thought about that idea Nikki.  Thanks for the help!

ydavis 04-16-2008 @ 12:51 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I usually bake a full cake and just freeze the other half. I scale down a lot of recipes becuase it's just my husband and I. I had made coffeecakes or quickbreads using half the recipe and for the eggs part, I used 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. The coffeecakes/breads came out just fine. Now, as for cake, I have never tried to scale down the recipe.

Biffhank 03-08-2009 @ 11:27 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
An excellent newer cookbook, Small Batch Baking, is available for 2-4
serving desserts and breads.  The recipes have all been scaled down and
you don't have to do the work to convert them.  You don't need special
equipment.  The book tells you simple pan options to bake for 2-4.  I
would use a smaller baking pan instead of the cans suggested--I don't
like using cans for baking but the option is there.  It's a great cookbook
for a smaller group--check it out!

Oregon Baker

edwardmorgan 12-30-2021 @ 10:32 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

jahny1 01-01-2022 @ 8:47 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 05-05-2022 @ 9:46 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 05-05-2022 @ 9:51 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts