Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / cake holes Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: cake holes

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

monicachackal 01-14-2008 @ 6:18 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello bakers!
I am writing because I have made a plain vanilla white cake 2 times now
(only egg whites, cake flour, whole milk, butter, etc), and It always comes
out with huge holes everywhere. It tastes amazing, but I wonder what I
could have done wrong? I don't think its normal...

Maybe I peaked the egg whites too much or too little?
any tips would be great Confused

TableBread 01-26-2008 @ 10:02 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Monica!  I read about your problem and although I haven't baked any white cakes I was wondering what might be causing your problem.  After looking around it turns out the Master Chef Google knew about this article in Cooks Magazine:

-----------------------------------------------------
The Problem: Unfortunately, the white cakes that we have baked over the years, though good enough, always fell short of our high expectations. They came out a little dry and chewy--one might say cottony--and we noticed that they were riddled with tunnels and small holes. What were we doing wrong?

The Goal: White layer cakes have been the classic birthday cake for more than 100 years. White cake is simply a basic butter cake made with egg whites instead of whole eggs. The whites produce the characteristic color, and they are also supposed to make the cake soft and fine-grained--that's what we wanted.

The Solution: Every traditional recipe for white cake calls for stiffly beaten egg whites folded into the batter at the end. We began to suspect that it was the beaten egg whites that were forming the large air pockets and those unsightly holes in the baked cakes. We solved this problem by mixing the egg whites with the milk before beating them into the flour-and-butter mixture. The results were fantastic. The cake was not only fine-grained and holefree, but, to our surprise, it was also larger and lighter than the ones we'd prepared with beaten whites. And the method couldn't be simpler, quicker, or more nearly failure-proof.
-------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps.  Be sure to let us know how it works out!

I can usually be found in the kitchen, everything else can be found here: http://tablebread.blogspot.com

monicachackal 01-27-2008 @ 7:42 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
thanks so much!
I will definitely try that!
I have to make another wedding cake in a few months... So that should help!
best answer I've gotten so far Smile

thanks!

-Monica

edwardmorgan 12-30-2021 @ 9:46 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts